SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why di I have two winches each side of cockpit. Plus I have one n cabin top. Thevcabin topiI assume and use for main halyard but the two on side of cockpit are unclear. I tend to single hand a lot and run jib sheets to aft most winches. I have never used the forward cockpit winches which are obviously small in size. Could they possibly be for spinnaker?

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Stay sails, furling your head sail, getting overrides undone off your primary winch, control line for spin pole lots of uses.

·
19,489 Posts
Usually the forward winch is the primary, intended for jib/genoa sheets... the aft ones are typically spinnaker sheet/guy winches. In your case the aft most winch looks bigger/more powerful so it would be the primary, which is good since you singlehand and they are near the helm, with the secondaries forward where your crew has clear access.

The extra pair of winches allows you to set and trim the Spinnaker before dousing the headsail, and vice-versa.

Reactions: jackdale

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Usually the forward winch is the primary, intended for jib/genoa sheets... the aft ones are typically spinnaker sheet/guy winches. In your case the aft most winch looks bigger/more powerful so it would be the primary, which is good since you singlehand and they are near the helm, with the secondaries forward where your crew has clear access.

The extra pair of winches allows you to set and trim the Spinnaker before dousing the headsail, and vice-versa.
Ah... Well... Uhmm.... In fact, if you look at the photo of his cockpit, his Primaries are aft, adjacent to the helm position (which I think is a sensible arrangement as you point out) and a pair of secondaries, likely for a stay-sail are forward. Many yachts actually sail better with stay-sails only in many situations, leaving the Genoa furled (or bagged) and the yacht more easily handled.

FWIW...

·
19,489 Posts
Ah... Well... Uhmm.... In fact, if you look at the photo of his cockpit, his Primaries are aft, adjacent to the helm position (which I think is a sensible arrangement) and a pair of secondaries, likely for a stay-sail are forward. Many yachts actually sail better with stay-sails only in many situations, leaving the Genoa furled (or bagged) and the yacht more easily handled.

FWIW...
Ah... Well.... hmmm... I said:

So it seems we agree :confused::confused:;)

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Ah... Well.... hmmm... I said:

So it seems we agree :confused::confused:;)
Faster, My comment was in agreement not disagreement. I should have emphasized Are and will make the correction to clarify my intent (Done).

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Sailboat data shows that your boat was originally a mast head sloop with tiller steering. Your photo shows you have wheel steering. So, maybe, the PO installed the wheel after market and then added new winches aft to facilitate singlehanded tacking and increased their size to make life easier.

·
19,489 Posts
Faster, My comment was in agreement not disagreement. I should have emphasized Are and will make the correction to clarify my intent (Done).
No worries.... :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cc riders... Good sleuthing... I believe you are exactly right. So while some of the others answers also make sense I think you have solved the origin riddle... Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts