SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of sails came with the boat. The older ones are all hank-on, but I don't see why there would be a pendant on the head of each one. Is it possible to just rig up a line from the sliding part of the furler to the drum, and then attach the pendant to the sliding part and hank on the sail? I am scratching my head here!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
it may have had an early furler that wound the sail around the forestay with hanks, no foil.
Had one on a small Catamaran years ago.

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Hi i also had a variety of hank on sails.plus a genny on the furler.
But if I understand you right the pennants Are what interest you.
The pennants are on those sails to elevate
your sails out of the way of waves when offshore and or to improve visibility. more than likely if they still carry hanks they havent been used since the conversion to furling . Does your furler use a foil on the headstay?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's likely that you have, or used to have, wire-rope halyards. In such case, a pendant on the head of the jib is used so that the halyard wraps the winch on the rope section and not the wire section of the line. You may now wonder why the wire-rope splice is not made higher on the line, and the answer is that with different headsails, you have different luff lengths.

Modern low-stretch ropes have obsoleted wire-rope halyards. If your halyards have been replaced with all rope, you can happily remove the pendant on the head of your sail.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Sailboatdata indicates the C&C 27 is a single-spreader masthead sloop. It's also possible the pendants were fitted to allow the jib leech(es) to clear the spreaders when sheeted in hard. Perhaps now that you've got a furler, you don't have that problem any more?

As for the hanks - if you want to use the sails, you'll need to take them to your friendly sailmaker and ask him to cut off the hanks and sew on a luff tape for you. It's not a difficult, lengthy or expensive job.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This site is awesome. The pennants are on the heads of each sail. Yes, I do have an old wire to rope halyard, so that would explain the need for a pendant.

Thanks for the tip on the sailmaker- I will probably take all of the sails down for an evaluation when I take the main in for refurb. It will be nice to be able to use these sails, some of them are in pretty good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts