SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,627 Posts
Looks like mine! which sucks because I did new counter top and, well you can see the mahogany lid frame. :)

I have a spray can of rustoleum paint for plastic, have not tried it yet, can't seem to find it in a can for brush on. Every time I've ever sprayed something in a box the over spray got out of control.

The pink foam is in the bottom loose and adds to insulation value. It can be removed should I want to use ice instead.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to get a new boat with a really nice ice box, or even a refrigerator.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,627 Posts
No amount of scrubbing and strong cleaners changed the look of the old poly plastic either.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I hear tell that some folks have 'glassed layers of that pink or blue foam to the inside of their old icebox and painted it white.

Not sure what they painted it with though.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,627 Posts
I used the pink that is glassed over to build the plywood lid. solid wood lids just kept warping and did not have the insulation I wanted.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinking paint for plastic and possibly add foam sheets to build up bottom. Don't really need more R value but the other complaint is it is too deep. My elevation challenged wife can't reach stuff in bottom 4 inches anyway. Will report back

·
19,485 Posts
I'd be tempted to sand it all down to clean glass and prime it, then paint with a mildew resistant bathroom paint and give that a try for a season.

Remember if you're going to glass in ordinary styrofoam insulation as shown you cannot use polyester resin.. it will dissolve the foam. You must use an epoxy. Before I made any such permanent modifications to the ice box I'd drop a piece in there (cut to fit well but leaving a clear drainage area/channel if you're using loose or un-contained ice) and try that out first. You may find you lose too much volume.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,627 Posts
epoxy doesn't stick to poly, so if you do the bottom build up it may will get wet and moldy inside if you try to seal the edges, this is why most completely line it with glass and epoxy. color can be added to epoxy also, making paint a bit easier.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What has been tried to clean it? I'd try a variety of different cleaners before painting or anything drastic. Good old cleanser, Clorox cleaner, Soft Scrub, trisodium phosphate, the mild acid that's good at removing rust stains? oxcylic acid? There are a lot of things to try.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
The wife was right.

I'd start with something like Bartender's Friend (oxalic acid) to try removing some of the rust stains. Rust? In the ice box? Really??? And probably a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which is actually a 3000-grit sanding pad. Maybe hit is after both with some "orange" goo stripper, which will even pull off paint so it ought to pull off those stains.

Painting in a box that way won't be easy. You can tape a big plastic bag around the top, after inserting a plastic bag and playing like a biohazard enclosure, spraying the bottom of the box and letting the dust settle before removing the plastic form the top. Then doing it again, after the bottom has dried, spraying up a small storm and putting the can down on the dry bottom while that settles out.

Or try using a Preval sprayer, it doesn't make as much mist.

But the wife was right, the only question is why she waited so long to mention it!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
It looks like a pretty uniformly shaped square box. If it were mine I'd go to a shower enclosure company and give them accurate dimensions of the box.

They will fold/bend a 2mm acrylic liner to the exact size which can be folded/semi-flatted to get it inside and only one vertical joint to seal. Some contact adhesive will hold it permanently in place. A floor panel cut from the same material and silicone the edges/joints and you have a tough, impervious surface that will last for years and clean up easy as.

I have just had such liners folded to suit showers in my home - the stuff is a pleasure to work with and has a beautiful finish. they folded the enclosure to within 0.5mm and it fit perfectly.

Disclaimer: the above products were sourced in New Zealand (but if it's available here it's available anywhere).

Reactions: jimgo

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
See pics. Paint sounds like a solution. Anyone have a recommendation?
Scrub it down with a good cleanser, fill it up to just below the level of the evaporator plates with a solution of bleach and water and allow that to sit over night; pump the mix out and dry the panels and wipe them down with 90% alcohol from your local pharmacy, allow the box to thoroughly air dry (leave a drop cord light with a 60 watt bulb burning in the bottom of the box over-night); then sand the panels down with 120 grit paper, clean the dust out with a shop vac and again wipe the panels down with 90% alcohol; dry again, and then paint with egg-shell white "EasyPoxy". Two coats are better than one but one will make a world of difference. BTDT--Got the T-Shirt. It works.

Once done, get over to you local grocery and pick up some "stacking" plastic baskets with fold down handles that you can layer food items in and lift out as needed to reach items on lower levels. Make yourself a "blanket" of Reflectix (Home Depot or Lowes) to lay across the top of the baskets or contents so you're not trying to cool empty space above the contents of the box.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
The best cleaner I can recommend is called LA Absolutely Awesome Cleaner, available at Dollar General stores. This stuff cleans everything and it's pretty much effortless. Spray it on, let is sit for a minute, then just wipe it off with a clean, dry cloth. It's the best hull cleaner I've ever found, and it will even clean up spider poop, which is damned near impossible to get off fiberglass. At $1 a bottle you cannot go wrong.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
HyLite got the right plan. Just do it right .I've used 'food grade epoxy' with a paint brush on freezers and water tanks for years . clean good, mix well, warm with light bulb to harden. Accept hug from wife. Just read back so. sides are what? may be bigger and more haywire than I thought.Some compatibility testing required

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
3M Marine Plastic Restorer? Even if it is effective, it would be a lot of work.

I know I would never paint it. Peeling paint is going to be a ton worse to deal with down the road than unsightly. If you bleach the current box, it will certainly be sanitary, if not attractive. Paint chips in my produce wouldn't be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.