SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I have no boat :crying

Wondering though... if I did... and it sat at a marina with WiFi, does it make sense to have a WiFi cam monitoring the saloon or cockpit? It could provide security and if hooked up via shore power it could notify you if there is an issues (goes offline). If it was outside or even shooting out a window you could see weather issues?

I just hooked up a couple Wyze cameras from Amazon for my office and they are great and are very inexpensive. Heck for $25 you could have one just showing a battery meter.

Disclaimer #2: Affiliate link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H3SRXG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B076H3SRXG&linkCode=as2&tag=kennettweathe-20&linkId=48710517d99374eb8446c19eb2666b7c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends where you are - our marina WiFi only permits email and browsing protocols not outbound RTS that the WiFi cameras use. I have even tried a 4G router and most Cell operators do not allow RTS either at least not at an economic cost. ( UK South Coast )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
In order to protect bandwidth hogs, I think most public access systems will time out a connection with some frequency. If you're not there, it may not be possible to reconnect. If you pay, the device may be able to be whitelisted. I'm sure this is different, marina by marina.

If one felt it was necessary to have this kind of security, I'd say your own cellular hot spot is the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If one felt it was necessary to have this kind of security, I'd say your own cellular hot spot is the way to go.

Not possible in the UK at least - I have not found a mobile operator that will support RTS camera protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
Not possible in the UK at least - I have not found a mobile operator that will support RTS camera protocol.
I thought Europe actually had cell network enabled cameras for some time. They used to be unavailable here.

However, Arlo now sells a model for which you subscribe to a cell plan for the camera specifically. Cheaper than a hotspot, but a hotspot will support more than one thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never thought of marinas or providers blocking them. That will be interesting to check when I am marina shopping.

·
Sailor
924 Posts
Wi-Fi at Marina is nice to have. However with the growing number of people streaming movies and YouTube videos in the marina the Wi-Fi gets bogged down and unusable for those of us who are using it for what it a was intended for; as a service to research the internet and keep connected to family and friends. Is you are contemplating using your marina’s Wi-Fi to stream video you should look into doing it via a cell link or hotspot, something that effects only you. We all need to consider our impact on others, just saying.

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
Vid certainly hogs bandwidth. I’m not sure I agree that WiFi had an intended purpose that coincides with a particular users needs.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I am planning to do that on my boat. There is a boat a couple of slips away from me that has a camera mounted on a light stand on the dock pointing at his boat and I would like to do the same thing. At this point I don't have a strong enough signal to stream video even with a wifi booster. Once I solve that issue I will take the next step and buy a camera.

I am in a yacht club so getting the club techie to help me improve coverage to my part of the dock shouldn't be a big problem. The club already has webcams that cover my area of the dock, but I can't see my boat specifically.

The main reason I want it is so that I can check on my boat during winter storms and make sure it is ok. My slip is on the seaward float of the docks so it is very exposed to north and north-easterly winds that are typical in winter storms. Last year the boat next to me broke loose during a storm and spent quite a few hours battering my boat before anyone noticed. That happened only a few months after we got her! It would be nice to be able to check on her any time I like!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Blink XT camera in the salon, one at the split backstay triangle, and one on the steps on the dock so I can watch fender placement in rough weather.

I live more than an hour away from the boat, so being able o check conditions in rough weather is really why I have the cameras.

In terms of security, the cockpit camera would get triggered non-stop, just from random motion of the boom, movement of the backstay, etc. So not useful to catch intruders.

The cabin camera is more useful, mounts on the forward bulkhead facing the companionway, and triggers reliably.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just this morning this came up at the coffee club. One of our members has had a problem with otters crapping on his boat. He is mounting a camera on the dock. He has already confronted the guilty otters but getting a confession has proved hopeless. With the culprit on video he figures a successful prosecution could result.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Just this morning this came up at the coffee club. One of our members has had a problem with otters crapping on his boat. He is mounting a camera on the dock. He has already confronted the guilty otters but getting a confession has proved hopeless. With the culprit on video he figures a successful prosecution could result.
Those sneaky little otters can make a fine mess if they take up residence on a boat for the winter. My neighbor has spike strips on his swim grid to discourage them from climbing aboard. Fortunately the Junior Sailing dinghy dock is much more appealing to them with nice carpeted ramps to climb out on and inverted dinghy hulls to sleep under!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts