SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Shop around before committing. There are many carriers offering 4G hotspots and/or tethering to a phone plan. You need to decide whether to buy a "plan" (2 year commitment) or go monthly. I strongly prefer the latter. WalMart has some exclusive deals that are sometimes a little better than elsewhere, so have a look there. I recently switched my cell service to T-mobile monthly plan - "unlimited" data and text, 100 min talk for $30/month. (I use Skype for phone calls above 100 min.) This plan is available at WalMart or Tmobile.com only. With an unlocked Android phone, you can configure your phone as a wireless hotspot on this plan if you don't get caught. T-mobile also has hotspot plans that are fully legit.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Note the GSM hotspots would allow you to change SIM cards if you hit your 5GB limit. If you hit your limit one month, you could activate a new SIM card and pop that into your phone or hotspot and keep working. For instance, the T-mobile $30 plan that gives you 5GB per month does not shut you down when you hit your limit - it just throttles you back to 2G speed. So when you hit your limit you could load up a second $30 card and keep going at 4G speed.

Unless you do a lot of video streaming or send huge email attachments, it's actually difficult for one or two users to use more than 5GB a month. You should also turn off automatic Windows updates (or whatever other computer OS) and do the updates manually when you have free WiFi access.

Reactions: melody1204
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.