SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to apologize because I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum but I've searched the forums and while I've found some useful info, I still have some questions.

In the fall, Chris and I will be traveling from the Chesapeake down the ICW to Florida. I'm working full time from the boat - I work for a promotional marketing company (so if anyone needs swag, hit me up!) and I also run our organic clothing line (Happy 2be Here), AND I'm the webmaster for our blog (see signature). Needless to say, I'm on the internet more than I'd like to admit!

Since this trip will take longer than the number of vacation days I have left (and I'd rather save those for a week in the Bahamas), I will need to work full time during our trip, which means I need to be connected for at least 7-8 hours a day.

Here is the best solution I've come up with so far:
1. Get an omnidirectional wifi extender AND
2. Get Verizon card

Is this the only/best option to ensure connectivity? I understand that while under way, the Verizon card will be more practical, as the extender won't have continued signal as we move. I would still like to have the extender so that when we're anchored, I can try to get signal without eating the data on the Verizon card.

My second question is: when using an extender, are you only able to connect if you find an unsecured network? Does anyone have one that can lend any insight to this? Is it difficult to find unsecured networks? It seems that most people secure their networks now, so I don't want to spend $300 plus just yet on this equipment if it's only going to get me a useable signal every so often.

Sorry for the long post and for bringing up a likely much touched on subject, but hoping for some fresh views. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, everyone! I figured the 4G broadband was the way to go - worried a little about exceeding the 5GB data limit, but can always find a way around that if I need to (i.e. checking and answering emails from my phone, which gets unlimited data and using pc just for my other purposes).

I'll check out the Active Captain thread and talk to some people mentioned above but based on the advice here and what I've gotten from people here at the marina, Verizon is my best bet. As always, thanks again for the advice and expertise!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are worried about the 5Gb limit, you can always select a different plan. Verizon now has plans (shared data plans), that run from 4Gb to 20Gb.
That's great! I'll look into that. I thought 5GB was the max. Thanks, Zed!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.