SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
My old radar is a mast mount. Were I do go new... I would do a pole at the stern. Wireless seems appealing... Wiring to the pole does not seem daunting.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
Since they all require a wire for the power, I really don’t get why the data needs to be wireless. I’d be worried about wireless interference, right when I‘d want it to work the most (ie big storm). Last I heard the wireless data from the Furuno had to be viewed separately and not overlaid on a plotter, but maybe that’s been improved by now. What do you find appealing?
maybe solar with a battery? Probably not viable for long run times. Maybe a program that sleeps and wakes up for a scan and if no targets in defined range goes off.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
To be a wise guy, you still need a wire to get to the battery that is presumably now mounted next to the radar. Can't see how that's desirable over running a longer wire to the house batteries. Not to mention the added cost of solar and a charge controller and the weight of all the above.

Honestly, I truly don't understand why the wireless feature is attractive other than maybe as a backup. Then again, no one seems to have one, so that may be self evident.
The radar should be designed w/ solar on top and a battery included. MAYBE... one of these days.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
Power storage for a battery operated device is the issue. In addition to better technology... and weight loft... the software needs to be smarter in use of power.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
N2K was the latest protocol for instruments to share data... listen a talk. I don't think we're at the stage of complete interoperability and sharing of all data to a "digital display. But this is on the way presumably because it makes sense. Charts and radar require lots of bandwidth... data rich. That has to be solved... wires are "old technology".

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,284 Posts
So you would only be able to use radar in the daylight, and with sufficient solar output? Radars are generally most useful at night and in fog or rain. The Cat5 wires would not be large enough to supply power to this radar.

Mark
The battery must store enough power to run over night. Of course without sun there is no charging. So in the end a pair of charging wires would likely be required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts