SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Interesting. I have a wired Ray Marine unit but would consider a wireless unit. I already have power but the comms cable would have to be replaced.

Some thoughts.

I have solar and wind gen on my arch. So for power why not tie into the solar feed? It is connected to the battery? This would only work with 12 volt regulators, not MPPT regulators. But working off the wind feed might be possible.

I ran a 6 pair twisted shielded comms cable to an electrical box on the arch. That way I can run varios devices back to the cabin, such as GPS. If the radar uses a Cat 3/4/5 type connection then that may work.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Sorry, I was replying to hpeer, who sounded like he wanted to power it directly from his solar panels. Your message came in while I was typing, so mine appeared after yours.

Mark
SOME controllers pull the voltage down to battery voltage and would allow powering the radar. Ditto a wind generator that rectifies in the generator, like a D40.

One would have to look at the voltage requirements for the radar and output of the generator, but it may work. Essentially you would just be back feeding.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mark,

I have some old school controllers that allow the battery voltage to the panel. The electrons will run which ever way takes them to a lower potential. Therefore at night the radar would he fed from the batteries.

Will NOT work with MPPT controllers and maybe some others. Will work with some controllers.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
OK, I understand. Your original post led me to think that you wanted to power the unit on the controller side of the panels, not the battery side. Now I understand that you have some old controllers that flow both ways.

This type of controller that allows battery voltage on the solar side of it is a poor choice, since this would allow the panels to drain the battery at night unless external diodes were installed. These external diodes would cause a voltage drop during charging that the panels would have to overcome, which would be difficult because they are pulled to battery voltage by design of the controller.

In other words, purposefully using an old, inefficient solar/wind regulator that could add to battery drain just to power a new tech radar would be a questionable choice. Why not just use an efficient controller and power the radar directly from the battery?

Mark
I understand. Yet, if it is what you have then it solves a problem. Until you “upgrade” and then need a new solution.

One problem at a time sometimes works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.