SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Nylon would seem perfectly adequate for a drain plug!

But a true yachtsmen, being a true gentlemen, would also own a classic Rolls Royce. And Rolls never allowed those to be sold to anyone who didn't also have a properly (Rolls) trained chauffer. Part of the the chauffer's job and training is to maintain the silver crankshaft bearings in the motorcar, and that involves casting new ones as the originals wear. (Stay with me here.)

So, assuming you are a proper yachtsmen, and you therefore still have a properly trained chauffer, just ask James to cast you some new drain plugs out of bronze. It is quite similar to what he's already doing with the bearing metal.

Poor folk could probably correspond with Newfoundmetal and get some cast by them, or a local foundry.

Can't obtain them from WC directly?

·
Registered
Wauquiez Gladiateur
51 Posts
Just to clarify, per the discussion above, in my case it was not a tapered seacock, but a ball valve. I did get a replacement, but due to corrosion or some other issue, it would not engage the threads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nylon would seem perfectly adequate for a drain plug!

But a true yachtsmen, being a true gentlemen, would also own a classic Rolls Royce. And Rolls never allowed those to be sold to anyone who didn't also have a properly (Rolls) trained chauffer. Part of the the chauffer's job and training is to maintain the silver crankshaft bearings in the motorcar, and that involves casting new ones as the originals wear. (Stay with me here.)

So, assuming you are a proper yachtsmen, and you therefore still have a properly trained chauffer, just ask James to cast you some new drain plugs out of bronze. It is quite similar to what he's already doing with the bearing metal.

Poor folk could probably correspond with Newfoundmetal and get some cast by them, or a local foundry.

Can't obtain them from WC directly?
Thank you Hellosailor.

See... I drive an old Toyota... I am not even sure if it has any bearings left.

Anyhow, WC is not longer, and casting 2 drain plugs out of bronze will prolly cost more that a new seacock.
I'll go with the nylon, and keep an eye on it. Now I need to find nylon tapered plugs.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts