SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Navman speed transducer in a plastic thru hull (it can be taken out and replaced with a plug) that no longer works. I'm hoping I can just replace it with an Airmar DST800 transducer - that the DST800 will fit water tight into the existing Navman thru-hull.

Is this wishful thinking, or are transducer thru hulls standard? If I have to replace the actual thru hull, is this a big job?

Any insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
No, I'm afraid they aren't standard. Even if, by some miracle, the DST800 has the right thread AND diameter, the length also has to be spot-on to put the transducer flush with the hull.

There's also the question of how long a plastic through-hull lasts before getting brittle.

Time to remove the old one, and install the new. The size of the job depends on whether the new through hull is smaller or larger than the old - making the difference between drilling a larger hole, and filling the hole and making a smaller one. Of course the boat has to be out of the water for this.

Finally, when I installed my DST 800 I used their plastic through-hull. If I did it again, I might source the bronze version that they sell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info MarkSF. That's what I was afraid of, but the boats' out of water, so I can make any needed changes this spring.

I'll look into the bronze thru hull too.

Jeff

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would advise not using the DST800.

We have had numerous issues with ours (the 3rd one has failed again). Since I started the thread below I have come across 2 other people with similar stories locally.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/139666-airmar-raymarine-dst800-transducer-issue.html

We are hauling out next month and installing a E26031 speed/temp transducer, a E26001-PZ depth transducer (wet box as we don't want another through hull) and ITC5 analogue to SeatalkNG interface so they will talk to the rest of the instruments.

Just my 0.02c worth.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Well, firstly "numerous issues" is a bit disingenuous, as you've had the same issue a couple of times, which is that the flap allows in water while the transducer is removed and the plug installed.

Most of the complaints about the flap stem from unrealistic expectations. The flap is designed to reduce the water flow, not stop it altogether.

NB, My old transducer that the DST 800 replaced, had no flap at all. This used to be standard. You just got good at changing the transducer quickly.

In your case I believe that the flap keeps getting broken, which begs the question why. I understand that you insist it's Airmar's fault, while I believe that you are doing something wrong, or the installation was somehow faulty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your issue is the water arresting flap on the through hull failing correct? And I recall you were pulling the transducer every week?

My DTS800 is fine. But I'm pulling the transducer only a few times per season. Even if my flap does fail, its not enough reason for me to consider a change. Its only meant to temporarily SLOW the water ingress when you change the transducer out with the plug.

I would advise not using the DST800.

We have had numerous issues with ours (the 3rd one has failed again). Since I started the thread below I have come across 2 other people with similar stories locally.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/139666-airmar-raymarine-dst800-transducer-issue.html

We are hauling out next month and installing a E26031 speed/temp transducer, a E26001-PZ depth transducer (wet box as we don't want another through hull) and ITC5 analogue to SeatalkNG interface so they will talk to the rest of the instruments.

Just my 0.02c worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.