SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one were to integrate the Raymarine tiller-pilot into a regular Seatalk connection... would the Tiller Pilot (which has an integrated fluxgate compass) provide compass heading to the bus?

Reason I ask is I want to build the simplest low cost Speed/Depth/Wind electronics package I can for my boat... the i40 system seems like it CAN provide the one piece of data I'd love to have which is "True Wind" direction and speed. The requirements for that are Speed (covered) and Compass.. now it makes sense no?

I know the Tiller pilot can accept an external fluxgate compass, but that's an additional $200 item... I'll do it if I have to, but it seems silly if the TP already has a fluxgate compass onboard.

Yeah I already dug through manuals for the fluxgate compass, TP, and also the i40 systems.

As a second question, can anyone argue why I'd want to buy the i50 systems rather than the i40? It looks like I might be able to get away about $200 cheaper if I go the i40 route overall on the system. Obviously the i50 and i60 are larger displays... I also know the i70 system seems to use Seatalk NG as it's basis for all the displays.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll answer my own post... for sure Simrad TP22 will provide compass to simnet verified it via the manuals for my new instruments... so I figure raymarines would provide the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts