SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just drove a 7 hour round trip to pick up this motor. Got it for a song, well actually a kayak and $350. I hear this will get her up to hull speed. I am going to rebuild this engine whether it needs it or not, cause that's just how I roll. I was wondering if anyone has or has had a C30 with this engine in it? If you have nay pics of what it looks like after you use a shoe horn to get it in the compartment(if it's possible) I would appriciate it.
I posted a question not too long ago about trying to put a Perkins 4-108 in my C30,lol. Yeah right.
Any way I own this one now and I hope someone can verify that it will fit with out taking up half the salon.
Also any expectations on performance would be cool. What prop are you using?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't speak to the Catalina but my Nicholson 31 displaces 7 tons and this little engine had no trouble keeping her at near hull speed for 24 hours straight in a pretty brisk head wind.

dsc_1117.jpg

I recently rebuilt the transmission myself in the boat. It was remarkably simple to work on.

I keep a google alert on 2Qm20 and 3QM20 (that's I how I found your post)

A while back I got an alert abot a starter on ebay- picked up a spare for $100(they sell for $1000)

Do you have books?

Dave

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hermit,

Just curious...didn't you already rebuild an engine for your boat? Why the change to the Yanmar (good engines though)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine I have now is a yanamr ysm12. 12hp, 1 hour rating, 10 hp continuous. It's a little weak for the C30.
The 2QM20 is 20 hp continuous 22 1 hour rating. It should be a big difference if it will fit in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,762 Posts
Hermit

I re-powered a C-30 with a Universal M3-20B from a Yanmar 1GM. They will also fit an M-25. If I remember correctly the Yanmar 2GM was a tad to tall for the C-30 as that is what I originally wanted. Remember it has to fit under the settee and the galley counter and you need the room for your exhaust elbow.

Simply measure the height to the settee from the engine bed then measure your min height from the motor mounts on the Yanmar to the top of the valve cover. I think you might be all set length wise but even that is very tight as the shaft log is "right there". As it was my water pump was so tight against the front of the settee that I ahd to cut an access port for impeller changes with an M3-20B..

The old one lunger pushed my C-30 along just fine even up some heavy current rivers. Have you checked to make sure you are not over or under propped??? I would absolutely make sure your prop is right before diving into an engine replacement..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
azcanyon- I am still using the ysm12. I have to rebuild the 2Qm before I install it, if I install it.
Maine Sail- I measured from the prop shaft to the top of the engine. I need 3 inches more at least. Length wise, I need more also probably 3" or so I forget exactly. I would have to cut out the front and install a door like the one on the starboard side of the engine compartment. For the height I would have to cut into the counter and make that bench seat into a chaise lounge. Honestly I don't know if that will ever happen. If I did decide to take this project on, I would have to know for sure that the extra weight of this very heavy engine wouldn't do anything adverse to the performance, or make it sit weird in the water. This engine is upwards of 500 lbs.

I am overpropped almost for a certainty.

I sailed my boat across the bay today. We were getting around 5 knots with just the main up. Sometimes a little faster sometimes slower. It doesn't heel much, I expected it to heel more. I am experimenting with sail trim. Basically I start changing something and I had my friend at the helm just call off the speed from the chart plotter. Sailing is 1000 times better than motoring. I wouldn't want a trawler now. I have to have sails.

Is the Universal M3-20B a light engine? Do you know the weight? Did you buy it new?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts