SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've read up on networking in general, but we're not planning to replace a bunch of electronics anytime soon. Just one--our VHF. I'd like to know if it will play well in the sand box with our existing chartplotter. Currently all of our electronics are "independent" except the radar does receive position from the GPS.

Our current chartplotter is a Garmin 182c, at the helm. It's certainly not new, but it came with the boat and it works great and we're not planning on replacing it any time soon.

Our VHF, on the other hand, is much older and has no DSC. It also won't flush-mount, which we're planning to do with some small mods to the nav area.

So we're considering the Standard Horizon Quest (1500s model). It has the needed functions including DSC, etc.

Both devices are compatible with NMEA 0183. The specs on the VHF are:
NMEA Inputs: GLL, GGA, GNS, RMC
NMEA Outputs: DSC, DSE

Garmin manual just says it's NMEA 0183, but doesn't get into the specifics.

So in terms of sending our position from the GPS to the VHF, will this connection work? Thoughts?

Thanks!
-J

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks everyone. Makes sense. When reading the Garmin manual, I did see that the GPS has a bunch of options regarding NMEA, though there wasn't much detail in the document. As long as it's supposed to work, that's fine. I'll figure out the settings.
Thanks!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,160 Posts
Yes it will work

The Standard Horizon Quest 1500 Owners Manual has DETAILED instructions on how to connect the VHF to various chart plotters, including Garmin. You can download the manual here

Look at pages 11 & 12.

You need to connect Blue on the GPS to Blue on the VHF, and Black on the GPS to Green on the VHF.

The GPS should be set (default) to 4800 baud

You can confirm this by checking the GPSmap 182c Owners manual, available here on page 98

- Ed

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I have that exact vhf and a garmin plotter. they play together just fine. easy to set up if you read the instructions

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hello,

I have the same VHF and I was easily able to interface it to my Lowrance plotter. I am very happy with the VHF and one nice feature it has is that when connected to a GPS it works like a repeater. It will display speed, COG, Lat Long, etc.

i also bought the remote mic to mount in the cockpit and it works great as well.

HOWEVER, if I were going to buy a new VHF I would wait a little longer until the new Standard Horizon GX2100 VHS / AIS radio is released. You can read about it here:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Standard Horizon GX2100, AISrx/VHF combo for most any boat?

I am thinking of buying it when it comes out.

Barry

·
Unpaid Intern
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have that exact vhf and a garmin plotter. they play together just fine. easy to set up if you read the instructions
Well, I suppose that's a perfect example of why SailNet is such good stuff. Thanks for letting me know.

And BarryL, I'm not in a rush, so I'll wait and see what's available in a few months, but before the sailing season starts. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts