SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just doing bottom paint touch-ups this spring, but next year I'm due for another full bottom job. My boat came with hard paint on the hull, which is not suitable for storage on the hard during the winter, so I overcoated it with Pettit Vivid the past 4 years. Vivid is a semi-hard slow ablative which maintains its effectiveness when dry, and it has worked pretty well for me. I do get some chips that come off every year after haul-out, but it's a modest amount and not increasing. In fact, with sandless primer on the bare spots, the amount of chips has been reduced.

Nevertheless, I am beginning to wonder whether next spring I should do a complete strip of the old hard paint, since I'm sure the film build of that old hard paint is causing the chips that I see. I believe that the most effective and environmentally friendly way of stripping old paint off is soda blasting, so I would consider hiring someone to do that for me. I know soda blasting takes ablative paint off very easily, but is it aggressive enough to take off old, stale hard paint? If not, what do you recommend for this?

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
TF, I have Vivid as well and like it up here. Great balance between hard and ablative, although, I would say its much more like hard. The Vivid is applied directly to an epoxy barrier coat and I've never seen a chip. I initially applied two heavy coats and then do an annual light sand and top coat. Knock on wood, its been working well enough that I'm not sure I will need to go back to bare for a long, long, long time.

I'm sure that soda blasting will get through whatever you have below your Vivid.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
It is going to depend on the paint and the media. Best bet is to try finding a couple of local media blasting folks, ask what they'll charge and what they'll guarantee, and see what they say. Since the same process is used to strip automotive paints before refinishing classic cars "frame off"...it isn't just for yachties although it would help if they knew FRP and gelcoat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts