SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The barnacles were terrible last summer in the Chesapeake Bay (actually Potomac River). I used Barnacle Barrier on the prop/shaft, our boat sat in her slip for almost a month, I didn't clean the prop/shaft during that time, and they were so encrusted that I could only go 2 knots at 2400 RPM.

I would like to paint over the Barnacle Barrier w/ a water based anti-fouling paint. Have you done this, and if so, will the Barnacle Barrier prevent galvanic corrosion from the copper in the anti-fouling paint?

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
Until recently, over the last 5 decades I'd never used anything but antifouling bottom paint on my running gear. With mostly poor to terrible antifouling results, however it has not done any harm to the prop, strut, shaft or stuffing box. Copper and tin, the main ingredients in antifouling paints are pretty much non reactive with silicon bronze and/or SS. If you are having a problem with galvanic corrosion, I suggest you look elsewhere, because it is not from your antifouling paint.
The last couple of years the yards have offered Prop Speed and another similar product free, but neither has worked any better than just plain old fashioned antifouling bottom paint for us.

Reactions: mrmac
1 - 3 of 3 Posts