SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Readers,
At this stage in life, being 24, my only obligations are to myself and exploration is where I am. Seeking abroad travel by vessel is currently over my head although I am excited by the consideration. As one without experience, but with an ability to prepare in "by the book" ways (Currently, I have access to an extensive library + internet), what are some basics (knots, terminology, etc) that could better prepare me for prolonged oceanic travels and other journeys?

Although I am a novice, I would be grateful for an opportunity of apprenticeship on a crew willing to teach, house and feed my person, especially a vessel traveling to Morocco. Currently located in Oregon

·
LOOKING TO CREW
1 Posts
I'm also a 24 year old on the same boat as you, not on one. I'm in Arizona currently though but I will definitely be paying special attention to this thread. Maybe we can collaborate on good reading materials and strategies to get ourselves prepared for crewing a ship? I've only entertained the thought up to this point so I have no recommendations currently but as soon as I gather some good materials I'll share them with you. I would love to head to South America myself, why Morocco for you?

·
Master Mariner
9,189 Posts
For over 50 years I have recommended Royce's Sailing Illustrated as the primer for any beginner in boating, especially sailing. There isn't much that's not in there, from the various types of rigs found on sail boats, to the principles and practice of anchoring, yet it is a fun and interesting read, not some boring, sleep inducing tome.
Have fun.

Reactions: GrantsPants

·
Dirt Free
2,933 Posts
Sounds like a couple of young guys with an attitude I like .... Go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts