SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Geezer
5 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to whack the drums with a soft hammer of 2 Barient 16s, which wouldn't turn when I bought the boat, to get them off for servicing. Cleaned old hard grease off, regreased drum interior, roller bearings, oiled pawls. One re-installed, no whacks needed, now works fine. The other needs whacks with a soft hammer to re-install:hammer. Doesn't seem right. Any solution so the whacking is not necessary? Seems the tolerances of drum, rollers, spindle are just too tight.
And since it did not turn before I tried to service, I doubt it will turn after with such a hyper snug fit and hammer coaxing.

· Senior Moment Member
13,311 Posts
Reaction score
Take the drum off, feel how easily the bearings turn on the main spindle, then see how they turn inside the drum. If they turn freely in both I would suspect the spindle (main shaft) is out of true.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.