SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The main difference I have with Valiente's tacking procedure is that I try to never "over-tack." If you'll watch the most smooth-tacking racers, you'll see that the helmsman stops the turn when the jib begins streaming along the new lee rail. By stopping the turn at that point, the jibsheet tailer can pull in almost all of the jibsheet with his bare hands before the jib loads up. He/she can usually do it hand-over-hand, without having to use the winch handle, except to fine-trim the sail for the new course. While the jib is not loaded, the tailer on a 30-40' boat (even if it's masthead-rigged, with a big genoa) can haul in the jibsheet as fast as possible, bare-handed, but once the sail loads up, the tailer has to resort to the slowest method, grinding it in with the winches, while expending an inordinate amount of energy.

After the tailer has hauled in most of the jibsheet by hand, the helmsman should then bear off slightly, loading up the jib. If the helmsman and tailer are well-coordinated, the jib will be slightly fuller than closehauled when the jib is loaded up. At that time, while the helmsman gradually brings the boat up to a closehauled course, the tailer uses the winch handle to fine-trim the jib for the new course. In that way, the boat can accelerate out of the tack.

If you over-tack, the boat will be bearing away from it's optimal course more than necessary, which results in the boat losing more ground to leeward than is necessary.

There's a fairly good video that illustrates the technique at the following website. How to tack and gybe on a sailboat | Wonder How To

In that video, the helmsman still over-tacked slightly more than I like to do it. If you watch carefully, you'll see that the jib is almost fully sheeted in after the turn, and the sails are drawing on the new course, and the tailer hasn't ground the winch handle at all. He only uses the winch handle for the final trim adjustment. While he is doing so, the helmsman gradually brings the boat up to closehauled, which is only a very few degrees.

If you need a tailer with the strength of a gorilla to tack your jib, and he's getting arm-weary, the solution is with the helmsman.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts