SailNet Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I know they lock in but I don't think the winch handle looks good just sitting there so we remove it.

Once set, we tend not to trim and retrim the way racers might. So I could see them leaving it there.
The textbook answer is to replace the winch handles in the pocket when not in use.

You are correct cruisers do not spend a great deal of time trimming after the sails are set. Aesthetics aside, he winch handles can be a tripping hazard and they make it difficult to unload the winch. After sheeting in, the handle can be put into the pocket carefully without going overboard.

On a race boat, the winch handles are left in place. They tend to have many more of them, plus a few spares. Last year while crewing in Swiftsure with some other instructors, we kept having to remind them to leave the handles in place. It was really against their nature to do so.

Jack

·
Registered
382 Posts
I usually leave the winch in the pocket on my small Helms25.
I bought this singlehand winch at the boat show this fall, but now have this problem.

What pocket works for those with a single hand release winch?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Wayne25—

I use a winch handle holder that looks like the socket off of a winch top. :) very convenient and the locking handles lock into it. :)

·
45.63N 122.67W
50 Posts
Mine are also the floating sort. That said, I habitually remove my handle and drop it in the pocket when done trimming. Too many times I've seen it used as a convenient grab handle for someone losing their footing going forward. Always a chuckle to see the reaction when the "lifesaver" moves.
I have a spare floater - had to say it - below with other must have spares.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dog - I'll look into that type, thanks.

Alex - You can't tell from the picture, but the pocket is a foot long. Its just not wide enough for the new handle. The pocket came with the boat from the PO.

I'll do a little Google work. I just hate to take screws out and have to refill.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I personally believe winch handles should be taken out when done w/ them.
That said... I leave my jib sheet winch handles in when I'm sailing b/c I regularly trim and ease my sheets.
When I have a lot of newbies onboard I tend to put the handles away so they are out of the way.
And if I do leave them in I always turn the handle so it is outboard JUST IN CASE someone falls against it; don't want a winch handle to bust someone's rib.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts