SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking care of some long overdue winch maintenance on my old boat. I can''t figure out how to take them apart. The winches don''t appear to have c-clips or a locking ring that would be the key to getting them apart. These are Merriman Bros winches. Any advice?

·
Administrator
9,280 Posts
I have had a number of Merriman winches in my life. They made quite a number of different styles. They did make one model with a circlip outside the winch handle socket which you apparently do not have. I had one model with a big bolt with a giant screwdriver slot that was at the bottom of the winch handle socket. I had a reel winch that you had to unbolt a frame at the base of the winch and then there was a bolt on the bottom of the winch.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must have one of those Merriman winches that unbolt from the deck to get at the bolt on the bottom of the winch. There isn''t a slot or anything like that on top. I''ll have to spend time standing on my head in the locker. And, lose some weight too so I can fit. Who says boats aren''t useful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts