SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Beneteau 352 and there are only two winches on the boat, both atop the cabin. We have plans to install two additional winches back near the wheel on the combing with a bracket. The winches currently on the boat are Lewmar 42. We have found a good deal on a pair of Lewmar 40. We will use the new winches primarily for the operation of the jib, which is a 140% genoa. The additional winches placed in the back will make single hand sailing much easier.

Will the Lewmar 40's be sufficient or will we have a problem going down one size from the 42's?

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,307 Posts
I would think you would find the 42's somewhat marginal to start, so definitely don't go down in size. Be sure you have your lead angles worked out carefully and the winches positioned so the sheets can/will fall off the feeder arm or you'll have problems with their operation...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We have a Beneteau 352 and there are only two winches on the boat, both atop the cabin. We have plans to install two additional winches back near the wheel on the combing with a bracket. The winches currently on the boat are Lewmar 42. We have found a good deal on a pair of Lewmar 40. We will use the new winches primarily for the operation of the jib, which is a 140% genoa. The additional winches placed in the back will make single hand sailing much easier.

Will the Lewmar 40's be sufficient or will we have a problem going down one size from the 42's?
Have you seen this?
http://www.lewmar.com/cms/assets/1/categories/winches_selection_guide.pdf
Should not be much difference between 42 and 40..

I have 46 winches (Andersen) on my 38 footer

·
Banned
3,112 Posts
Bigger the better. With so many boats being scrapped, there is a surplus of used winches in excellent condition. I'd prefer a big used winch over a new, too small one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got 40 equivalent (Barient 23) genoa winches on my masthead 33 footer. They are undersized for a 135 jib when the wind exceeds 15 knots apparent. I'm putting on Andersen 46s this winter.

40s are IMO too small for your jib winches

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
You can always point up and luff the jib a bit if the winch isn't big enough to trim the sail in. Racers want to be able to trim the jib in without luffing, but for recreational sailors/cruisers it's not such a big deal.

·
19,485 Posts
If you find the current winches adequate, why not move them aft and put the 'new' ones on the cabintop for other duties?

Beyond that, I've never heard any sailor say 'Crap.. these winches are too big/strong/powerful'.... ;)

Reactions: killarney_sailor

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I think 40's are too small for your boat. I have Anderson 40's on the coamings and Anderson 28's on the cabintop - on a 27' boat. Probably a bit larger than I need but I am not young anymore.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Thanks! Now I understand, but I have to agree that is one lousy arrangement. My Cal 33-2 has 5 winches. Two primaries, two secondaries on the cabin top, plus one to handle the main sheet. And there are spots for 2 more primaries for those that race with a spinnaker. Can't imagine being limited to only 2 winches.

With regard to the main question, my primaries are Barient 23 self-tailers which are marginal. My previous boat (30 foot Cal 9.2) had Barient 26s and it took some adjustment to go to a bigger boat with smaller winches. I have gotten used to them however.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,307 Posts
Designing two winches on the aft cabin top is as useful as four with two of the four in the common location forward on the cockpit coamings. Either arrangement is equally not conducive to single-handing. The plus I have often seen with the two winch configuration, is the savings from fewer winches often goes into the two provided being electric, which is pretty sweet.

Otherwise, most any of our common cruising or racing configurations need significant re-work to support convenient single-handing. Of the several dozen wheel-helmed boats I have driven, only the J 34/C was arguably convenient to single-handing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.