SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have almost purchased my wife''s dream-boat and if the survey proves good we will have the almost immediate problem of changing at least the primary winches for self-tailing ones. The present winches are Barlow 32''s which if we were to replace with new say the equivalent Lewmar''s they would cost in the region of $5,000 each. I know of a place in St. Thomas, USVI, where reconditioned winches of all sizes were available but the boat in question is on the west coast of Florida, the Tampa Bay area, is there somewhere similar in this region?

Any thoughts or information would be most welcome.

Paul

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All Barlow parts are available from The Australian Yacht Company. They have a web site. And sell used. I had some 30 year old Barlow 28''s re -chromed, put in a few palls and springs, greased with Lubriplate. They work fine. Look great. Spent $300 refurbishing them.
But if you have to have self tailors... Dave at Sailorman/Ft Lauderdale. Just know what you''re buying.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don''t know if you''ve already acted on earlier suggestions, but I reconditioned my older Lewmar 46s very effectively. The anodized drums were worn and ugly and the chrome was worn off the arms. Had the arms rechromed at an car shop and had the drums grit blasted and then re-anodized (Hard Koted). The internals were ok but I cleaned and greased the heck out of everything. Total cost $250, replacement cost $3500. BIG SAVINGS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts