SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fit antennae, masthead light and wind direction indicator on mast (such that 15" wind indicator doesn't hit light or antennae). A seemingly easy choice would put the indicator on the aft portion of the masthead assembly (that is set back about 8" from the mast where the back stay is connected). Is there a problem with doing this (disrupted air?)? Not sure I see any photos where others have placed indictors in this location and definitely not a choice mentioned in the indicator's installation material. Looks like a prior owner solved the problem with an extension forward of the mast (which puts the indicator in a location that is difficult to see from the cockpit).

·
19,489 Posts
I think you'll be fine there. As you say, if you move it forward the line of sight may be lost.. unless you go up and ahead, as some serious race boats do.

Ours is on the aft end of the masthead fitting, works well. I've even seen people put extensions aft for that to avoid similar obstacles.

Reactions: SailNoFo

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Davis makes a version of the Windex that you can mount directly to the antenna. That should work pretty well.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm new at this but thinking things at the top of the mast are best done right the first time. I think that location will work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts