SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat has wind instruments, speedo and depth sounder. It is the first time I have had all these fancy gizmos.

I redid some wiring to get them to work last visit and they are now on but I now have two issues:

It appears the wind instrument while on is not indicating anything, the anemometer at the top is spinning and the wind vane rotates with wind direction but no indication on the instruments. Normally I suspect the wiring but this wiring job looks professionally done. I will spray contact cleaner in the connector at the mast and add dielectric grease before reconnecting it. Other than that it will take a trip up the mast to inspect the connection up top. Any other suggestions to troubleshoot this?

My other concern is these instruments are connected to the 'misc' switch, along with VHF and stereo. I can forsee times there I want to listen to tunes but don't care about windspeed or angle, like while sitting at the dock. How much current drain can I expect from these instruments? I am going to eventually rewire the panel and would consider separating instruments and misc to different switches if recommended.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
These instruments only draw ~0.13A at full brightness, and less with the backlight turned down, so not much power at all.

First thing to do is go into the User Setup menu>Sources and make sure the instrument sees the wind transducer and it is selected as the source. If it doesn't show up here, there is either a wiring issue or the transducer is bad.

They are "Simnet" wiring, which is just NMEA2000 with proprietary connectors. It is unlikely to be a wiring issue because these are captured cables with formed ends. I can't tell if only the wind isn't working, or if none of them are working. If just the wind, and it doesn't show up in the sources menu, then the transducer on the mast may be bad. If the wire was bad, I'd suspect a lot of network errors and trouble with all of the instruments, unless the wind instrument is wired separately and directly instead of on a network bus. You can test the wire by bringing the wind transducer down and connecting it to the network with a short cable. Since this probably has a terminator built into it, you may need to connect it to the end of the network chain. However, even if it is not in the correct place and the network is unhappy, you should still see if it works. It won't harm the network or other instruments.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts