SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Last month I created an application for the iPhone that measures wind speed by using the microphone. It's called "Wind Meter". I originally created it with kitesurfing in mind, but thought it would definitely be applicable to sailing as well. The principal that it works on is that stronger wind hitting the microphone results in a louder decibel reading, which in turn can be translated into a wind speed reading. So I built it. After quite a bit of R&D, I actually got it working pretty accurately. It's limited to 24 knots due to the decibel limitation on iPhone - but it still works pretty well within that range.

Is there anyone here that's tried it yet? It's now been downloaded in over 60 countries which still blows me away! I'm looking to add more features so am hoping to get your feedback. Have you used it? Where? Any issues with it?

On Sunday night, more units of measure will be released along with new graphics. It currently supports mph, knots, kmh, and beaufort; and fps and m/s should be there Monday.

It's essentially a $0.99 anemometer. I've got some info on my site if you're interested at goingapps.com. (not trying to be spammy advertising here).

Note: there was a clone application called "Wind Speed" that copied the concept, but did not do proper R&D. What I hear is that it does not work accurately. Be sure to search for "Wind Meter" by GoingApps on iTunes.

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just downloaded it. At least it's showed up first before your competitor. I'll let you know. Thank !

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks Sailingmum! Let me know how it goes.

It's funny, I see the $100 ultrasonic wind meter advertised to the left....that's one of the meters we used to test against...check out the video on goingapps.com :)

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
I'm working on a Knot Log application for the iPhone. It's a $0.99 piece of string ~300 ft long marked off in 20 ft intervals. You tie the iPhone to the string, throw it overboard, and count to twenty-eight. Then pinch the string and voila! you have your boatspeed in knots.

The R&D so far has been expensive but quite satisfying.

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
interesting idea :) just got to make sure not to drop the iPhone in the drink while measuring the wind :) :)
Of course then may be someone could write an application so iPhone could call back and report the depth.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hm, I think you can use the GPS on the iPhone, along with a simple flotation device, to measure current... then with your iPhone knot log and your iPhone anemometer (for estimating leeway), you can navigate by dead-reckoning!

See, this is why some of us stick with sextants. Electronic navigation is just too expensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just tried to install it... Looks like you require 2.2.1 firmware for your app... I'm an iPhone dev myself so I wonder why you might need the 2.2.1 firmware. Most of the features I would think you would need are in the 2.0 ver and you shouldn’t need anything that was introduced in 2.2.1. I only say this because a lot of people still run the 2.0 ver. (I do because I use my phone to test my own apps). You might consider re-compiling using the 2.0 firmware (it’s as easy as changing the drop down in xCode) and releasing an update... you'll probably get more sales...

I'm really excited about this app, since I don't have a anometer on my boat and I am always wondering how hard the wind is blowing... (using flags and other landmarks works ok, but I'd be cool to have a number to go with it). Kind of bummed I can't install it!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Your comments regarding the 2.0 version are exactly right. We have a version ready to go that works with 2.0, we're just waiting on the Apple review process. So if you've bought it, it should start working in the next update (hopefully within a week or two).

·
PR Sailor
117 Posts
So if you are sailing will you get apparent wind or true wind? Of course apparent wind, could you use the SOG from the GPS to get true wind speed? It looks like you have competition in th apps world for wind measurements.

Velero

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Sweet! I'll bite. What's the limitation on the mic location? And can it work in tandem with the GPS and/or iCharts app? In other words, I usually leave my iPhone on the cockpit bench while I'm screaming through the water past old shoes. Will that work? Or do i need to hold it up to get a reading?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this post not a vendor promoting a product without supporting SailNet by paying for advertising?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey - what the hell!?!?!?! I just installed the app on my iPhone and blew into the mic to test it and it registered 112 knots and alerted the CG! Surely that's not right!

Great - now the helo's here. How am I going to explain this?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.