SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1972 Challenger 38 Ketch
80 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to fixing the wind turbine and don't really know where to start.

The unit spins only when quite windy and doesn't generate any current (as measured at the 3 way switch).
Oh and I'm not sure the 3 way switch does anything but slow down the unit when I switch it up or down.

I went up to remove the bolts that hold the unit up and got zapped touching the blades or bolts. Having no idea what this means other than a short somewhere I proceed.

I pull the unit off and of course there is no quick disconnect for the wires that run down the post.

Do I create my own quick disconnect ?
Do I cut it down low and re-snake the wires through later ?
How do people usually work on these things ?

The unit is an AIR-X Marine 400w

· Registered
3,241 Posts
Reaction score
1: do a Google search for the manual
2: don’t try to work on it without blades tied
3: yea you can put in quick disconnects, I have the same ones on my solar panels
4/. Total SWAG on 3 way switch
X: entire unit is disconnected electrically
Y: unit is connected to batter or regulator
Z: unit leads are shorted together, this acts as a TEMPORARY break to slow unit so you can secure the blades in a blow

· Registered
1972 Challenger 38 Ketch
80 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1: do a Google search for the manual
2: don’t try to work on it without blades tied
3: yea you can put in quick disconnects, I have the same ones on my solar panels
4/. Total SWAG on 3 way switch
X: entire unit is disconnected electrically
Y: unit is connected to batter or regulator
Z: unit leads are shorted together, this acts as a TEMPORARY break to slow unit so you can secure the blades in a blow
SWAG ?

Alrighty I'll chop the wires off, put in some disconnects, test the unit indoors.. If it works fine, I'll gut out and replace the wiring..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts