SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an Aries Vane overkill for a 24 foot Bristol?

Are there rules of thumb about which vane (aries, monitor, etc, etc) based on type/size of boat?

Thank you!

·
Registered
23,491 Posts
From Aries home page:

The gear is suitable for all yachts up to 55 ft. L.O.A. The minimum size vessel is usually around 28 ft. L.O.A. because the gear weight of 35 kg is unacceptable on smaller boats unless they have broad stern sections.
Aries

There is a contact number and email address on the page too. I would drop them a line directly. Same with Monitor.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Minnewaska has it right, it is just a matter of weight. A Monitor weighs 24 kg. A Cape Horn is even lighter.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
For a boat of that size I would look for a used Navik wind vane or look at the Mr Vane.

I have heard of the latter as he does spares for the Navik as well as his own version which is reputed to be better than the Navik. Not seen one though.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts

Are there rules of thumb about which vane (aries, monitor, etc, etc) based on type/size of boat?

Thank you!
yes but it will work...

Ive had the fixed mount and crewed on the tiltup version

for small boats look at old navik or plastimo windvanes(used)
:)

·
Registered
7,857 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. will look at navik and norvane. and, worst case, stick with a tp10 for now and get the vane later.

·
Bluenoser
192 Posts
Check out the Cape Horn. They have a couple of sizes, are light and strong, and are customized to each particular boat design - i.e. the height of the wind vane mast and the depth of the servo-pendulum oar. I have had one for over ten years and its one of the best things I ever purchased for my boat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
cape horns are just too expensive! great though

x2 on the norvane...

I remember a thread not too long ago where I posted an argentinian made windvane for the high seas...their small boat model is comparable in price to the norvane, but then quickly goes up after 28 feet or so.

when I was searching for a used windvane back in the day for my folkboat I couldnt find a used plastimo or navik that was in serviceable condition...they are the perfect windvanes for small boats though

you could also try diy windvanes which there are a bunch of plans to chose from these days

another diy type windvane that you can complete yourself is the BOUVAAN from holland.

cheers

Reactions: andyselzn

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

Thank you!
The Aries is awfully heavy for that boat as noted by others, above. In addition to the previous suggestions, you might want to look at the WindPilot Pacific Light that weighs in at only 28Lbs but is reportedly a good unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a navic. I didn't use it much but I felt that it was basically crap. Lots of little plastic parts. You had to stand up on the stern to adjust it (dangerous to my mind). Didn't work well. I bought an old Aries. It's quite heavy though and I do worry that it will take down my stern. Too heavy for your boat, definitely.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I had a navic. I didn't use it much but I felt that it was basically crap. Lots of little plastic parts. You had to stand up on the stern to adjust it (dangerous to my mind). Didn't work well. I bought an old Aries. It's quite heavy though and I do worry that it will take down my stern. Too heavy for your boat, definitely.

the plastic parts were indeed a common criticism of the navik...the ones I investigated had ceased(non replaceable) plastic parts that were worn beyond repair and therefore not worth it...to try and fix.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I remember mr vee got into a big hooplah over copyrights...thats why I didnt mention him

he had a reverse vane system that works quite well...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts