SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Great Blue Heron the size of a giant Swan landed on the tabs of my brand new Windex 15 and bent one of the tabs all the way down. There is also a bird dropping big enough to fill a cup on the deck below it. I thought that bird spike was supposed to prevent that.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I thought that bird spike was supposed to prevent that.
And you believed it? :). I looked at that and thought "Why should that be?"

Any suggestions?
Go up the mast and bend 'em back up?

We put a new Windex on the boat last spring, after the old one fell off the mast and went into the drink the previous fall. One of the tabs got snagged by the cable on the gin pole when the mast was being stepped and bent it up just enough to interfere with the indicator. Wonderful. (Eventually somebody went up the mast to fix it.) Taking the mast down, this fall, the top got too close to the ground while the mast was on the mast cart and, you guessed it: Bent a tab again. Grrr... I know why they put those tabs on soft, bendable wire, I just think there has to be A Better Way.

I'm almost of a mind to just eliminate the damn thing. We soon found, when we were out sailing when the tab was bent up, that we could do w/o it.

OTOH: Were Santa to give me a TopClimber, I'd have more an excuse to use it more often :D

Jim

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bob:

Same thing happened to me. I have never seen such piles of bird droppings come from one animal. What a mess. I still have to climb the mast and replace mine. I found some wind indicators you can clip on the standing rigging that work ok in a pinch.

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you believed it? :). I looked at that and thought "Why should that be?"

OTOH: Were Santa to give me a TopClimber, I'd have more an excuse to use it more often :D

Jim
Ahhhhhhh yes . . . . . . .santa. Everyone around the house kept bugging me about what I wanted for Christmas. I always say nothing. I'm happy with what I have . . . . . . but it was relentless. I made a boat store list 2 pages long, made copies and left them laying around the house.

Back to the heron. I saw him yesterday. He flew by with a really big rat hanging from his beak. He landed in 6 inch water, dipped the rat in and tilted his head back flinging it down his gullet.

Same here LittleWing. I'll have to bend it back and scrub the deck. I don't race so pointing that accurately insn't that big a deal. Maybe I'll just learn to live with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts