SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ComPac 27 that weighs about 7000# and sail alone. Looking for a windlass at this point to help. I have looked at a new Lewmar VX1 that has a gypsy and drum. What is the advantage to having both? I carry 150' of 1/2" rope and 30' of 1/4" chain, a 26# Manson Supreme. Is there another windlass that might fit my needs better and what are the differences? I have researched but didn't find a good comparison. The VX1 is pretty new. I also carry another 150' rope and 25' - 5/16' chain with a fortress anchor in reserve.

thanks in advance
Wayne

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If the VX1 is a vertical windlass, the advantage of having both rope capstan and chain gypsy is versatility. You run aground and need to shift the bow around to clear a boulder as the tide drops. Row out an anchor to the side and pull the bow around with capstan. You can't do that with just a chain gypsy. It's also way more difficult to do with a horizontal windlass because you are restricted to a fore and aft only pull on the capstan. You'd need to rig a block to pull to the side and that could be a very difficult thing to do. With your present mostly rope setup the chain gypsy isn't all that useful as you don't have enough chain to get good use out of it. Add anpther 50'-100' of chain and the gypsy will make retrieving the anchor a piece of cake as long as the chain will self stow. Self stowing is a function of the drop from windlass to where the chain piles up in the locker. You'll be able to haul the anchor from anywhere on the boat with a remote or wired swich like in the cockpit. Really handy when it's blowing or the waves are up and you need to power the boat up the chain to relieve the strain on the windlass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts