SailNet Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Old soul
5,039 Posts
I went through the same debate here when I was contemplating a manual vs. electric windlass. Someone made (at least I thought so) excellent point... A windlass can be considered a safety item. When you need to pull the anchor up quickly, an electric will get it done in a few vs. several minutes.
In over two decades now of cruising, often in harsh and off-the-beaten-path places (currently Newfoundland), I have never been put in additional danger due to the use of my manual windlass. I would argue just the opposite. Since electrics have more paths to failure, the safer approach is to avoid them, or certainly avoid the vast majority that cannot be effectively operated manually.

(And yes, I know almost all electrics claim they can be used manually. In reality, there are only a few that do work this way. Most are manual in theory only.)

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
In over two decades now of cruising, often in harsh and off-the-beaten-path places (currently Newfoundland), I have never been put in additional danger due to the use of my manual windlass. I would argue just the opposite. Since electrics have more paths to failure, the safer approach is to avoid them, or certainly avoid the vast majority that cannot be effectively operated manually.

(And yes, I know almost all electrics claim they can be used manually. In reality, there are only a few that do work this way. Most are manual in theory only.)
I like the analogy to roller furling. More complex than hank on sails... more prone to failure. But a huge convenience. It's worth the risk for the convenience.

·
Old soul
5,039 Posts
I like the analogy to roller furling. More complex than hank on sails... more prone to failure. But a huge convenience. It's worth the risk for the convenience.
Agreed Sander. It's definitely easier to push a button than to hand crank. But from the perspective of simplicity, and the old Pardey notion of making your boat unstoppable, a quality manual windlass wins.

·
One of None
8,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday I stopped down at an BaconSails Annapolis to check out the "junk" they have lots and lots of used windlasses, only a few are complete assemblies but they don't know the electrical condition of any so I would need to bring my own battery to test

. I almost bought a manual Lofrans sitting near entrance window lol

But I don't actually own the boat yet so I need to slow down a little

I am leaning towards the manual if I can find one used it would be great. but like the boats there is just so much junk out there..

I am leaning towards the battery up front if I do go electric but then I'm also leaning towards 400 watts of solar but not today..

·
Old soul
5,039 Posts
I like your thinking Denise, but probably best to get the boat first. It will probably come with a windlass, in which case your best option will probably be to make that one work -- at least for a while.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,395 Posts
I almost bought that manual windlass at Bacons... It's in almost new condition. $900 or so if I recall.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts