SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, our windlass just goes "click" when you go to raise or lower the anchor. Has anyone else had this problem? Any clues on how to fix it?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add that I used it to a week or so ago. I lowered the anchor, didn't get a good set, raised the anchor and then lowere the anchored again. got a good set. The next morning all I got was "click".

It;s a big hinkin' Lofrans windlass. Circa 2000.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bene505, Had the same thing happen aboard a B50 while doing some ASA training. The windless solenoid for the up/down foot switches would not operate. We took the plastic cover off the solenoid and used a screwdriver between the hot (large post) and the up side to temporarily bring up the anchor. Worked good for the whole 10 days.

IIRC, the solenoid is located in the crew quarters (garage), fwd bulkhead near the top right center... just to the right of the ladder. I don't recall which posts is up or down, but it should be pretty straight forward by tracing the switch wiring. If the screwdriver bypass method works, you know you have a bad solenoid and not a bad windless...bad switches not withstanding.

There is a bunch of current there so I'd recommend wearing some glasses and keep your tongue off the posts!:eek: Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dead windlass

Under the principles that (a) 90% of the time, the problem is in the connectors, not in the components and (b) try the easy thing first:

Check the voltage UNDER LOAD at the terminals to the motor. It may be as simple as some corrosion in a connector.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bene505, Had the same thing happen aboard a B50 while doing some ASA training. The windless solenoid for the up/down foot switches would not operate. We took the plastic cover off the solenoid and used a screwdriver between the hot (large post) and the up side to temporarily bring up the anchor. Worked good for the whole 10 days.

IIRC, the solenoid is located in the crew quarters (garage), fwd bulkhead near the top right center... just to the right of the ladder. I don't recall which posts is up or down, but it should be pretty straight forward by tracing the switch wiring. If the screwdriver bypass method works, you know you have a bad solenoid and not a bad windless...bad switches not withstanding.

There is a bunch of current there so I'd recommend wearing some glasses and keep your tongue off the posts!:eek: Good luck.
Yes, we have a B50. Tomorrow I'm going into the crews quarters (a.k.a."the garage") to check it out. I'll try the old bypass-the-solenoid trick.
That and I have to download the manual and read it. I'm sure it's time for adding grease or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts