SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a vertical windlass in the next month and I am trying to decide rather to get one with the drum or not. I am interested in hearing what the advantages or disadvantages are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I should clarify. I have a combination of chain and rope anchor rode so both would run through the gypsy. I am wondering if there's any advantages or other uses of having a windlass which also has a drum above the gypsy.

·
Captain S/V Triumph
803 Posts
Yes, I should clarify. I have a combination of chain and rope anchor rode so both would run through the gypsy. I am wondering if there's any advantages or other uses of having a windlass which also has a drum above the gypsy.
We have a horizontal windlass with a drum on the port side and the gypsy on the other.

I do have a problem with the drum side, because the anchor on that side, (we have 2 anchors hanging from the bow), has about 50' of chain and then 150' of line. So, the chain scratches the drum, and slips on it. The drum is great for the line.

The side with only the gypsy is perfect for the chain, but not so much for any line.

So, I am also wondering about these conflicts!? Any suggestions?

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
The drum is invaluable should you ever need to warp the boat. You can also use it to hold the mast top if you are working on the head stay.
I'd get the gypsy/drum windlass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drum is invaluable should you ever need to warp the boat. You can also use it to hold the mast top if you are working on the head stay.
I'd get the gypsy/drum windlass.
What do you mean by warp the boat, not familiar with that term?

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
What do you mean by warp the boat, not familiar with that term?
Simply, moving a boat with the use of lines or warps. If kedging off something like a sand bar is also nice to have the drum.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
We have a horizontal windlass with a drum on the port side and the gypsy on the other.

I do have a problem with the drum side, because the anchor on that side, (we have 2 anchors hanging from the bow), has about 50' of chain and then 150' of line. So, the chain scratches the drum, and slips on it. The drum is great for the line.

The side with only the gypsy is perfect for the chain, but not so much for any line.

Well, you might use the drum to retrieve the rode until the chain portion has come up over the roller, then snub it if you still need to use the engine to break the hook out of the bottom, then simply hoist the remaining chain and anchor by hand...

Ohh, wait... You sail a 65,000 lb. boat, right?

In that case, Nevermind... :))

OK, how about using a snubber and chain hook to bring the remainder up in increments? Slow and tedious, perhaps, but that should eventually get the anchor home...

Or, you might lift the hook clear of the bottom using a trip line, snub that leaving the anchor suspended near the waterline or short of the roller, then pull in the 50' of chain by hand...

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts

We will use the drum on the #2 anchor, rigged like yours w/ chain/line, until the chain reaches the drum. Then we will use a line w/a chain hook (our snub line), hooked as far overboard as possible (even using the dinghy, if necessary) on the drum to get enough slack in the chain to move it onto the #1 roller and gypsy. Once that anchor is up, we'll use a halyard (or by hand if possible) to move it back to the #2 roller, secure it and put the #1 anchor back on it's roller.
We only use the #2 in extreme cases, so this is something we may only do once every couple of years, if that.

·
Captain S/V Triumph
803 Posts
Well, you might use the drum to retrieve the rode until the chain portion has come up over the roller, then snub it if you still need to use the engine to break the hook out of the bottom, then simply hoist the remaining chain and anchor by hand...

Ohh, wait... You sail a 65,000 lb. boat, right?

In that case, Nevermind... :))

OK, how about using a snubber and chain hook to bring the remainder up in increments? Slow and tedious, perhaps, but that should eventually get the anchor home...

Or, you might lift the hook clear of the bottom using a trip line, snub that leaving the anchor suspended near the waterline or short of the roller, then pull in the 50' of chain by hand...
Hi Jon.... when you realized the weights I am dealing with, your solution(s) sort of fell apart; (not to say your ideas wouldn't work, it's just that I want to be able to push the button and raise the anchor - easily), thus my question(s).

Sadly, all I can really think of, considering I am a lazy f__k, is to mostly have rode on the port side (with the drum), with perhaps 10 feet of chain. That much I can handle by hand.

I guess I was confirming with everyone that the design / plan for these drums is to use only rode (line) on them..?

We're reconfiguring all of our ground tackle this spring. I sold all the chain / rode and anchors which came with this boat last fall. I've been thinking about one of those new Mantus anchors, along with a Fortress, which would be the one I would pair with the mostly rode, on the port side, for my most used one.

The Mantus could go with a lot more chain on the side with the Gypsy; to deploy only in more challenging conditions.

I agree with you that the drum is useful to have for other tasks, otherwise I would replace it with a gypsy too.

What do even bigger boats than mine do? Do they not have any drum(s) on their windlass?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a vertical gypsy with drum and I use the drum to get the RIB dinghy up on deck. Run the tail end of the halyard forward to the drum with the shackle hooked to the dinghy bridle, hit the switch and up it comes. Allows me to get the dinghy up over the life lines single handed and onto the deck in complete control.
Works well for launching it too, can't see how I could do it without it.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
What do even bigger boats than mine do? Do they not have any drum(s) on their windlass?
No simple solutions that I'm aware of. I would guess you're approaching the size where many larger boats will be using either all chain rodes on both anchors, or going with a lightweight anchor like a Fortress if their secondary rode is rope ...

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
What if you used a fairlead between the anchor mounts and the windlass? It would centrally locate both rodes to the centerline and if your windlass is far enough back you could use either side(if horizontal) so use the drum for the length of line and when the chain arrives, put a stopper on and swap to the gypsy head.. In this case a vertical would allow both anchors access but same theory.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Mid size boats use double gypsy windlasses with the capstan on top, see pic. Big boats and ships have double gypsy, double capstan windlasses.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
it's just that I want to be able to push the button and raise the anchor - easily), thus my question(s).

Sadly, all I can really think of, considering I am a lazy f__k, is to mostly have rode on the port side (with the drum), with perhaps 10 feet of chain. That much I can handle by hand.
Maybe you could reverse your thinking and do what I did. When using my previous Manual Lofrens windlass I used the port side rope/little chain as my primary anchor. After contemplating a heart attack in a state of exhaustion while re-anchoring in a blow I said - Never Again.

I went with an Electric Lofrens Tigres with the same configuration. Switched my Primary anchor over to the right all chain side and now it's my Push Button Lazy A$$ Primary. The rope/little length chain on the port side is for a second anchor for nasty stuff or whatever.

·
Captain S/V Triumph
803 Posts
No simple solutions that I'm aware of. I would guess you're approaching the size where many larger boats will be using either all chain rodes on both anchors, or going with a lightweight anchor like a Fortress if their secondary rode is rope ...
So, it sounds like my plan to have a Fortress with mostly all rode on the drum side, and a Mantus (or CQR) with mostly all chain on the gypsy side does make sense...?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
So, it sounds like my plan to have a Fortress with mostly all rode on the drum side, and a Mantus (or CQR) with mostly all chain on the gypsy side does make sense...?
I suppose it might... Well, except for the part about using a CQR, that makes no sense at all :)

Only you can judge your ability or inclination to deal with the sort of weights involved, even an appropriate Fortress for your boat could be getting up there in terms of weight... You're asking the wrong guy, remember, I don't even want to bother messing with a 50 amp shore power cord, after all :)

·
Captain S/V Triumph
803 Posts
What if you used a fairlead between the anchor mounts and the windlass? It would centrally locate both rodes to the centerline and if your windlass is far enough back you could use either side(if horizontal) so use the drum for the length of line and when the chain arrives, put a stopper on and swap to the gypsy head.. In this case a vertical would allow both anchors access but same theory.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
IF you're talking to me, we have a cutter rig in the way.

But thanks for the concept!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts