SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the final stages of buying a Tartan37, and need to rethink the self-steering.

I am plannning on gettting a Windvane, and there is at least 2 used model on craigs, an Aries(1.5k) and one Monitor (2.5k).
I am tempted to go with the monitor because it is all stainless steel and I could eventually adapt a M-RUd Emergency. But I could save the bucks on the Aries.

However, reading around, It seems that not all windvanes fits all boats.
What would be the best one for my type of boat, 37ft, Fin Keel ?

I am planning on building a Jordan Series of drogues and with a short line, it seems to be helping with steering emergency. Is it practical ? could that replace the MRud emergency tiller in case the worst happen ?

Help appreciated.
Olivier

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
I was hoping to adapt (somehow) the existing stainless tubes to my boat. Maybe by adding an extension or asking a welder to short some.
Do you think it is possible ?

Parts are really expensive, but it will be way easier to work with Scanmar as they are still in business. Looked around and it seems that the Aries is for bigger and heavier boat. Seems like there are hundreds of Tartan 37 with the Monitor on the Scanmar website :).
Then I definitively going for the Monitor, even if more expensive.
I might keep the MRUd for better days and relies on the drogues in the unlikely event I lost the rudder.
Did someone hear about a Tartan 37 losing a rudder ? is it a weakness on those boats ?

Serie Drogue As steering device:

6700 kg buy page

Auxiliary steering:-
This series drogue can be used as an auxiliary steering device if problems occur with your vessels main steering system.
In fine weather The 12mm 75 cone drogue line is removed from the complete series drogue setup, and the bridle legs are run from your cleats, the leader with 25 cones attached is trailed behind the vessel.; Secondary lines are then run from the bridle legs ( see white 3 strand nylon line in photo below) to your sheet winches, adjustment of these secondary lines by the winches will guide your vessels course.

· Registered
167 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the input.
If the deal fail through for any reason on one I can go with confidence with the other :p
I think I read somewhere that Aries was way " heavier" than other vanes, maybe due to the way it is built, therefore was not adapted for small vessels. But a 37' is not that small after all...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.