SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is preferable, "wing on wing" or "wing and wing"?

I did a search on SailNet and found 717 hits on WoW and 5,040 for WaW. The fourth edition of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship only lists "wing-and-wing" in the index.

So is "wing-and-wing" the correct thing to say?

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Wing and wing meaning poled out boat ways never heard wing on wing myself also best with BBQ sauce

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Which is preferable, "wing on wing" or "wing and wing"?

I did a search on SailNet and found 717 hits on WoW and 5,040 for WaW. The fourth edition of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship only lists "wing-and-wing" in the index.

So is "wing-and-wing" the correct thing to say?

fasters got it

just say it FASTER and it becomes nwing

everyone will understand what your are trying to say

jajaja

:D

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
wing N wing is the term I use.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If the Annapolis book says 'and', I would be inclined to believe it was correct. I suspect the typical wing 'n wing is more easily heard as On than And.

Reactions: groggy

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Annapolis and and Chapman's both say "wing and wing" then I guess that settles it. I suspect you all are right, people say it fast "wing 'n wing" and that gets misheard as "wing on wing."

Regarding the Devil's pecker, I'm not sure that's strictly sailing related...

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
This is a "forced" wing'n'wing from last weekend's sailing. We were on dead run, we tied the boom to a cleat at the bow on one side and the genoa with a genoa mast forcefully spread on the other side. Never seen that before! Worked really well!

·
19,488 Posts
This is a "forced" wing'n'wing from last weekend's sailing. We were on dead run, we tied the boom to a cleat at the bow on one side and the genoa with a genoa mast forcefully spread on the other side. Never seen that before! Worked really well!
Genoa mast?? AKA whisker pole?? ;)

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice!

Here's me wing and wing my first day out this year. There was almost no wind, but with the big 170 nylon genoa poled out we managed to drift along.

·
Deep Blue Crush
Elan Impression 394
176 Posts
Genoa mast?? AKA whisker pole?? ;)
Ah Faster, is that not correct? Be gentle on me please. :) I am still learning. I thought the instructor called that a genoa mast. But maybe I got it wrong.
There is so much covered each time but its beautifully starting to make sense as a whole. I liveaboard almost every weekend on courses and sort of covering pretty much everything possible.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Just assumed that anyone who didn't say 'eh? 'a lot had a speech impendiment. Good to no there may be other explanations.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Ah Faster, is that not correct? Be gentle on me please. :) I am still learning. I thought the instructor called that a genoa mast. But maybe I got it wrong.
There is so much covered each time but its beautifully starting to make sense as a whole. I liveaboard almost every weekend on courses and sort of covering pretty much everything possible.
paikea your pic looks great to me with the slight exception of the clew being a bit of a ways from the whisker pole(its also pointed downwards a bit) its can be easy to wrap something there and be a strain to get off also the sheet is bending over the lifelines which is always a no no espcially of you get a good gust...you can reroute the sheet with a twinger or of you have blocks on tracks inside out or simply put not on something that may bind.

however remember that with poles of any type to begin with, its a bit easier to always be slightly higher than parallel to the water that way you never experience an unwanted pole dip which can be "awkward" especially in high winds...:)

HAPPY SAILING BTW

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
New controversy?:

Is that jib winged out or wung out?

I've always been a "wung" guy, though I suspect it is grammatically uncouth.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts