SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of an Alberg 37 and sail her on the Great Lakes. We have a choice as to whether to leave the mast up or take it down for winter storage in Toronto. I would like to hear the pros and cons of both choices.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have left the mast in several winters while on the hard with no apparent ill effect. You should make sure that your yard puts extra support under the boat and also chains (across)the poppets so that they don''t slip or move. Some recommend that you lossen the rigging but I have never done that. You should remove ALL of your sails and dodger to cut down on windage. You should also look at the boats around you and make sure that they are also properly secured. If not bring it to the attention of the marina--you might want to do that in writing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You may want to have the mast pulled (if not every year) at least every other year to check standing rigging, halyard sheaves, lights (replace the bulbs),instruments, etc. for corrosion and wear. If you leave the mast up you may also want to remove halyards via messengers so they can be inspected, reversed (for all rope) and stored out of weather and damaging UV light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts