SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the batteries that I largely ignored, abused and neglected (they came with the boat when we bought it and were old anyway) this summer. I plan to take the new ones out and store them over the winter. I have a good quality marine starter battery and deep cycle battery.

Two questions:

1. can i keep both of them hooked up to the same charger over the winter in maintenance mode. If I can, how do I do that?

2. I live in Canada and temps can be sustained at -20C in the winter, sometimes colder over night. Should I store indoors or can I use my unheated (most of time) work shed?

I have been researching both questions on line and, believe it or not, am finding all kinds of conflicting advice :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
You didn't specify what type the batteries were? are the Gel, AGM, regular lead acid? Lead acid typically lose I think it was 3% per month. having said that I have always taken my house and starter batteries home, fully charged them and just left them in the basement for the winter. (not on direct concrete though)typically stored on a wooden palette to keep them off the floor. I don't worry about keeping them on a trickle charger over the winter.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
I leave the batteries in all winter. Just charge them up before haulout. No need to remove them from the boat. Nobody in our club takes them home. One new guy did once and dropped one coming down the ladder.

pcmm,

There is absolutely no problem with leaving batteries on a concrete floor. Another urban legend.

·
Old soul
4,980 Posts
Fellow Canadian here, with very cold winters (Thunder Bay). I have a fancy three-stage charger so I just leave my deep cycle wet cells on the boat, and on charge all winter. Takes almost no power to keep them in maintenance mode, but ensures they remain fully charged.

The other option I've used is to fully charge the batteries and then disconnect them. I would not slug them out of the boat unless I had too.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
... There is absolutely no problem with leaving batteries on a concrete floor. Another urban legend.
... from before good plastic insulating casings were available.

Just old legend now.

---

Top them up, charge them up, and leave them. turn off the switch to prevent small leaks. Not worth the accident potential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts