SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Waukegan IL, it seems the most common thing sailboat owners do us wrap their boats with large tarps, that wrap over top of the life lines and stanchions. Why don't more people remove their stanchions so they don't risk getting bent in the event of ice or snow buildup on top of the tarp? I'd really like to take my stanchions off (looks like one screw should do it) before I wrap her for the winter.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Removing the stanchions is probably a good idea. We use them to anchor the supports for our tarps, so we leave them in.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It depends on the stanchion design. Some are not removable from the base, since they're a single piece. In the case of those, removing them would require unbolting them and then rebedding and re-bolting them in the spring—something most boat owners aren't willing to do.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I remove mine...

but I have the removable post kind. I take them home and polish them over the winter. One less thing to polish on the boat when I am trying to get her splashed May 1. I do use the base plates to help anchor the frameset for the cover.

DrB

·
Leap! The net will appear
234 Posts
I used my stanchions as a base to which I attached my PVC frame for the tarp. Snow should never put force on them, as they are braced to not take any weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts