SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theyre saying it will get down to 78f tomorrow.
With some wind, thaat means some real clothing.
I sleep best in winter.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Water in dog's bowl in cockpit was frozen this morning when I moved the boat to her winter slip. Water in a dispenser over the galley did not freeze. It was a lovely cold day. Winterizing will continue over the coming weeks.... and then some winter projects.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I normally don't do the engine or the waters systems until early December... but we are getting a cold snap in the teens and perhaps snow this Tuesday so I will do that on Monday. Hopefully it warms up and we get a calm day so I can remove the sails.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Wintering the house. Leaving for the boat next week. Will miss you guys. Bye,bye 😟😟
Have a great cruising season. Hope you’re able to report on how the summer treated your boat on the hard down there.

·
bell ringer
4,768 Posts
Madness, just madness!

Cold starts about 65 and goes down to 60. After that if you knew it was going to be a regular thing and still stayed there that’s just madness :devil

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First day of frostbiting yesterday in Boston Harbor!!!! Wind squirrelly, but good enough to get five races off. Temps were moderate, and sun shining. An all around great day.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Winterized the boat on Thursday. Takes twenty minutes since I converted to Electric Propulsion in 2008. Only the water system needs winterizing these days. No more scrunched around the Iron Pig changing oil and dealing with gallons of anti freeze. Jumping on a cruise ship in a month for a quick trip to the Bahamas I'll wave to the Sailnetters heading there from my balcony cabin as we pass by. :)

·
11,839 Posts
For us the oil, impeller, water systems usually only take an hour or two. It’s the other stuff which takes time.

Sails, cushions (28) , dinghy, grill, extra food, And winter cover is what takes the time. I think you have them still.

Enjoy the cruise ( eating expedition)

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
For us the oil, impeller, water systems usually only take an hour or two. It’s the other stuff which takes time.

Sails, cushions (28) , dinghy, grill, extra food, And winter cover is what takes the time. I think you have them still.

Right... so do the chores which work with the weather.... like dealing with sails and boat covers on calm days... most of the other winterizing of a boat can be done when it's convenient.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

Have not covered the boat in years. Find it stays cleaner and mildew free. So the water system winterizing is the only priority. Everything else in it's time as Sanders said.

As for the cruise "eating expedition" got my morning and evening swims planed. Plus dawn walks around the deck. Planning to take the stairs as much as possible too. Also got an unlimited drink package as part of the deal. Though I hardly drink alcohol these days even the Mocktail drink prices could add up. Though a Mojito or two does sound tempting. My trips to the Maldives where the Muslim ban on alcohol had me tasting some refreshing sundown drinks even without the rum. Not to mention the benefit of waking up with a clear head in the morning. :)

·
11,839 Posts
Have not covered the boat in years. Find it stays cleaner and mildew free. So the water system winterizing is the only priority. Everything else in it's time as Sanders said.

As for the cruise "eating expedition" got my morning and evening swims planed. Plus dawn walks around the deck. Planning to take the stairs as much as possible too. Also got an unlimited drink package as part of the deal. Though I hardly drink alcohol these days even the Mocktail drink prices could add up. Though a Mojito or two does sound tempting. My trips to the Maldives where the Muslim ban on alcohol had me tasting some refreshing sundown drinks even without the rum. Not to mention the benefit of waking up with a clear head in the morning. :)
The key is to ventilate the boat. We don’t shrink wrap...that’s creates a Petrie dish solarium. We actually can leave the some of the hatches cracked.

The canvas keeps the snow from piling up in the cockpit and potentially clogging/ freezing the scuppers. It keeps water from the freeze / thaw issues in some of the areas.

We are firm users of Kannaberra Gel for over 10 years. Mold doesn’t exist on Haleakula

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I did something different this year. I pumped my antifreeze from the faucet backwards through the galley pipes into the head, cockpit shower, and potable water tanks. This ensured the full concentration antifreeze got to the water pressure pump, valves, and other fittings, where it's needed most. You need to take some care because of the check valve at the hot water heater, but I think I've got that covered. (I'm still working on installing a water heater bypass, but didn't have time to finish that yet and had to move ahead without it.) I'll discuss more details later, but my refractometer readings show that I have much better freeze protection this year.

Attachments

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
We are supposed to get 4" of snow today...all sorts of yuck here in Michigan...the high for tomorrow is supposed to be 29F...not much getting done on the boat this week.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I normally don't cover.... do it every 6 years or so. Boat is fine but it can't be ignored. You do have to deal with blocked scupper/hoses. I will put the cockpit tent on which helps a bit with snow.... but winds will defeat that.

I typically go to the boat at least once a week in the off season. to check and to do some projects. I don't believe you can close it up, ignore for 6 months and open it up again without "problems". In the water I have to check and adjust the lines.

I use the periodic visits to remove things like linens and clothes and towels to be laundered... rugs to be cleaned... and some teak items to be vanished at home. And of course I do some project below... in a heated interior (Espar forced air). Forced air heating helps remove/reduce humidity in the interior and that's a good thing. Empty lockers can be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with a chlorox spray.

All plumbing hoses are disconnected from pumps in the fresh water system. If all strainers are opened and drained... antifreeze pumped through the shower drain system

Drinking water filter removed. Faucet spout strainers removed.

I top up the diesel fuel with jerry cans... but it's usually quite full.

Engine gets new oil and filter. I may take an oil sample for analysis too. Antifreeze is pumped through the engine, seacocks closed.

Boat is only 1/2hr away so frequent trips are possible. A West Marine is 5 minutes from the boat if I need some supplies.

The more you "dis assemble" the longer it takes and the same to get going in the Spring.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts