SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CEO - SailNet.com
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the dead of winter upon us, I'd like to get a discussion going on what projects we're doing to help the "old girl" out and help ourselves shake off the winter blues. For some of us maybe it's just too damn cold to do anything other than go to a winter boat show. For me, my winter project is installing a SCAD tank monitoring system and cleaning out my water tanks. Some other ideas:
  • update running rigging
  • clean & service winches
  • get a quote on replacing that 10 year old main sail. It's a buyers market - BIG TIME
  • install a battery monitoring system such as Xantrex Link system
  • update & replace standing rigging where needed
  • if you don't have one, install an autopilot, OMG, that should be first on the list !!!
  • upgrade lighting to LED's
  • install a windlass (this might be almost as appreciated as an autopilot!)
Those are just a few thoughts. What are you up to?

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine's the design of the refit. Planning to rip out the whole interior which US Yatch made so judiciously out of plywood instead of fiberglass and start anew. This time with the aft galley where there's usually headroom. A little more V-berth and a full head across the beam for us old farts who want more leg room and the grandchildren for changing swimsuits. That on top of new wiring, port lights, compass and electronics. I guess I make the holding tank and such since there's no over boarding in the freshwater seas. Have to wait awhile to get started though. It's the minus double digits UP here in the great white north.

·
Wind and pie move my boat.
428 Posts
My problem is 2 fold in that it's cold & money is also an issue . What I am doing is all below decks where it's warm . I've been doing some re-wiring & some painting . Winter is also a good time for planning as well & getting some idea of where you are where you need to be . My best guess is that I'm somewhere in the realm of 20K away from where I want to be with my boat . The sails , mast , & standing rigging are only 2 years old so that's all good . I'd like in the Spring to haul the boat , caulk & paint the bottom , install davits for my dinghy , & start to replace some of my running rigging . I'm saving SSB radio , E.P.I.R.B , life raft , & auto pilot for 2010 . My focus for now though is whatever I can do without spending a whole lot of money & there is always some of that a guy can do .

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
My focus for now though is whatever I can do without spending a whole lot of money & there is always some of that a guy can do .
I like your "can do" attitude!

I want to get our bilge pump replaced before spring -- the old one still works but the float switch is on the fritz. I'd like to get an integrated switch instead of the two-part arrangement.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Once the weather get's a quite bit warmer my list includes:

Replacing cockpit drain hoses
Re-plumbing shower sump to run separate of bilge pump discharge
re-plumb galley sink drains
replacing all head hoses with next generation sanitary hoses
install new chain snubber
refinish interior teak with Watco teak Oil & varnish on hand grabs
installation of new depth-speed-temp transducer

and possibly install an A/C-heating unit