SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often keep my boat in during the winter and love the chance to steal a day when the weather breaks Today I decided what the hell warmer and sunny Dec 26th let's go! Had a few hours with some good some fitful wind but hey it was great...took the new mainsail off afterwards...can't be demanding of moths nature, can we!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hated you before you posted what you posted!!! When you go out tomorrow ( OOOhh I know you will go out tomorrow! I hope the wind goes backward on you!) HAHA!! just kidding I hope you had a great sail. Wish I was there, but I was working in the dungeon of the boat, to get her ready for next season!!!!

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no jib...just the kite?
Yea I took the new jib off three weeks ago figuring I could use the storm jib or drifter as appropriate. That drifter points pretty well in lighter wind. And if I put soft shackles on the forestay it does abit better. The wind was quite shifty today changing overall heading from north to south sou west and back several times.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

Very nice. I'm jealous.

My boat is spending this winter in the water at a slip. I visited her yesterday. I would have liked to get out, but the engine is winterized and the sails are off. I did pump out the bilge (we had a lot of rain the past week and a lot of water runs down the keel stepped mast), get some fresh air inside, and otherwise spend a few minutes on board).

Barry

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Good for you, and don't hate me 'cause I live in the South, but I'm not jealous. I took some new friends out on Lake Pontchartrain in a keel sport boat (Bene First 7.5) in a fresh SE'ly for a couple of hours. Low 60s, a little choppy, but challenging upwind (absolute newcomer on first ever-sail did real well on the tiller upwind) then fast slide back home making a rooster tail and 10 knots when we caught a bit of a wave.

This was the one nice sailing day inbetween all the nasty Lows we have been/are sending you up East folks two days later as usual (apologies, it's not personal).

I grew up there, and used to Frostbite in Mhead in Interclubs, you knew it was cold when your mainsheet froze and didn't want to ease out ;-)

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you, and don't hate me 'cause I live in the South, but I'm not jealous. I took some new friends out on Lake Pontchartrain in a keel sport boat (Bene First 7.5) in a fresh SE'ly for a couple of hours. Low 60s, a little choppy, but challenging upwind (absolute newcomer on first ever-sail did real well on the tiller upwind) then fast slide back home making a rooster tail and 10 knots when we caught a bit of a wave.

This was the one nice sailing day inbetween all the nasty Lows we have been/are sending you up East folks two days later as usual (apologies, it's not personal).

I grew up there, and used to Frostbite in Mhead in Interclubs, you knew it was cold when your mainsheet froze and didn't want to ease out ;-)
Hey Tom
That sounds fun! It was better today but had work to do and bagged the new main yesterday in honor of Inevitable Winter here (one must show respect to the sailing Gods) hanging out dockside will be fun enough when there's a nice one next few months....

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
I hauled December 15th. Here on the coast of Maine, which IS the northeast, we consider LI the "south".

Keeping the boat in the water is an option I am considering. Hauling and launching are expensive and a lot of work. With 12 foot tides here in Seal Harbor I can use the tide and dry it out long enough to inspect, paint and change zincs any time of year. The boat has been barrier coated with epoxy by a po. I have a very well protected mooring available in Northeast Harbor for the winter months. Why not?

What is the downside? It would save money. Access is not a problem. Winter sailing?? Would take sails off for Jan., Feb. and March.

I would like to leave the boat in the water next winter and for winters to come. Seems like a lot of boats "live" in the water all the time. Why am I hauling it if I have a secure, inexpensive place to keep it in the water? There are handy travel lifts and trailers if I needed to dry out for a short time. I can even park it in the town parking lot in Northeast Harbor with the mast up.

All advice welcome. I am not planning to live aboard but would expect to visit and tinker.

Down

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

How secure is your mooring?

My boat is on a mooring during the season. In winter (mid november - april) I alternate between wet storage in a slip and haul outs. Even in a slip, with oversize bow, spring, and stern lines (some doubled), sails down, etc., I still worry about the boat during storms. When the boat is on land I don't worry at all.

Will you be able to get on board during the winter to check the boat? My boat has a keel stepped mast and some rain water gets into the bilge. I am on my boat every week or so to check on her, drain the bilge, check the batteries, etc.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with my boat on a mooring all winter.

Barry

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
I have a very well protected mooring available in Northeast Harbor for the winter months. Why not?
Down

We sail your area every summer - NE Hrbr is well protected - great spot. We are from New Brunswick (East up the coast) and ours in on the hard all covered up. We'll look for you next summer.

Right now we are half was to Florida. Will be there for the last half of January and all of February - will be looking to hitch a day ride with someone out of the Tampa area come February.

Winter in NB too long, summer too short.

Rik

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Hi Rik,

NEH would be safe. I can probably borrow a mooring from December through March for nothing. Access is no problem the dinghy dock keeps "circulators" running all winter. It is 3miles from home.

I am giving it some thought.

Have fun in Florida.

Down

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey,

How secure is your mooring?

My boat is on a mooring during the season. In winter (mid november - april) I alternate between wet storage in a slip and haul outs. Even in a slip, with oversize bow, spring, and stern lines (some doubled), sails down, etc., I still worry about the boat during storms. When the boat is on land I don't worry at all.

Will you be able to get on board during the winter to check the boat? My boat has a keel stepped mast and some rain water gets into the bilge. I am on my boat every week or so to check on her, drain the bilge, check the batteries, etc.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with my boat on a mooring all winter.

Barry
Hi Barry. Don't know if this was directed atme but I am on a private dock sprung loosely against two tall risers with fender boards. These creeks manage to stay reasonably clear most years haven't locked up solid since the late '70s. There are two guys who go in and out to fish and salvage so that helps a lot. I check the boat daily cause its close and I'm boat crazy!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi Rik,

NEH would be safe. I can probably borrow a mooring from December through March for nothing. Access is no problem the dinghy dock keeps "circulators" running all winter. It is 3miles from home.

I am giving it some thought.

Have fun in Florida.

Down
What about ice, Down? I just walked up from Rockport Harbor. It's got a layer of ice, maybe an inch or so, all the way out to the outer harbor.

I've seen it iced over a few times this season. All it takes is well below freezing temps and a north wind(south wind churns things up). Last winter we needed the Coast Guard icebreaker several times to open the harbor.

Lobster boats stay in without bubblers but it might be a challenge here and the boat could take some damage. Maybe NEH stays ice free?

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
I have seen thin ice in the very shallow inner basin where no moorings can be set. Boats do spend the winter on moorings in NEH. It is ice free. I don't think Ice will be a problem.

Down

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.