SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone up in the NW or NE of the USA or Northern Europe and possibility the Great lakes, doing any winter sailing?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
its minus10deg in the great lakes today
you wouldn't be sailing today you would be part of the ice flow
Not if you have an Ice Boat to go sailing with....:D
And those things go faster then fast

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I would say the people who are in wet storage have there hands FULL keeping there boats from sinking this winter and the de-ice systems should be working pretty hard about NOW :eek:

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
I think we're going to get out this weekend for the three day weekend. This was taken last month when we were heading back from an overnighter in La Conner.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I sailed my Melonseed in Dec.
When it gets up to 45 I'll do it again. The Yawl is out of the water, the ketch is in Fl. Next season I'll sail the ketch in winter, as I've one in the past on the yawl. But I can't go out if the harbor freezes, and I won't go out if the wind is over 15, or the temp under 40.
I met a guy at a Baykeeper dinner recently who said "I know you, you're that guy that sails in the winter"

·
Registered
747 Posts
I sailed my Melonseed in Dec.
When it gets up to 45 I'll do it again. The Yawl is out of the water, the ketch is in Fl. Next season I'll sail the ketch in winter, as I've one in the past on the yawl. But I can't go out if the harbor freezes, and I won't go out if the wind is over 15, or the temp under 40.
I met a guy at a Baykeeper dinner recently who said "I know you, you're that guy that sails in the winter"
The frostbiters I know do something similar to that. They sail through December and then start again in March.
Unless there is an incredible warm spell, January and February are just too cold.

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
We did the Sea Trial and survey for our boat last Saturday in Seattle. 20-25 knots, gusting to 31, nice chop, hi 30s F. for temp. We could not wipe the smile from our faces. Luckily for us it was about an hour sail each way to the haul out. I love sailing when the Sound is empty. Handwarmers from Costco and lots of clothing, my idea of fun, no sunburn, no teenagers in daddy's powerboat pestering you.

I look forward to many winters of sailing ahead!

michael

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I agree, one of the best things about winter sailing is being on the water alone. Last winter I sailed to some islands and beaches not accessible by road. Lunched, explored, found some old oarlocks. It was great.
There's often a thaw at the end of january......

·
Registered
838 Posts
It ain't happening around here, maybe a short daysail in a cartopped boat on an indian summer day, but that's it. Around here boats are hauled out in mid to late October and put back in in May. I can't imagine trying to sail in typical winter conditions on Lake Erie...

It's very shallow, and the east end typically looks like this until it freezes...

·
19,488 Posts
We were out overnight for New Years eve.. and may well do another weekend soon but we're a little less willing to go out in rain and gales than we used to be..... older and wiser is the way I like to look at it!;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here is a link to a cam on my lake. I need to meet somebody with an iceboat.

Oneida Lake View Webcam | Oneida Lake View
That's crazy, already frozen. I bet it wasn't frozen 2 weeks ago was it? Erie is freezing quickly now too because of the few days of single digits. Erie was completely open a week ago, now it's 80% iced over, and the lake effect snow has stopped, but not before two squalls dropped anywhere from 2-4 feet south of us, we got maybe a foot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
As I was driving down Lakeshore Blvd here in Toronto, I noticed that the lake water inside the breakwall was frozen and there were chunks of ice piled up on the breakwall itself. It feels so cold that if we ever get a day without wind, the lake (Ontario BTW) will probably skin over in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
I think we're going to get out this weekend for the three day weekend. This was taken last month when we were heading back from an overnighter in La Conner.

Erps, dude, now that's hard core! Definitely an admiring golf clap from the gallery.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Is that a shot of that weird black trimaran in False Creek?

Our last sail was mid-December -- it was still sunny. Until this weekend, it's been either a foot of snow on everything, or a fog as depicted by bossk. We were gonna go out yesterday, but decided to clean the bilge instead :) As long as it's not raining, I'm willing to tolerate a chill -- maybe next weekend will answer.

Last winter was a different story. We bought the boat on Dec 26 and I was singlehanding her in Port Orchard in a t-shirt on Jan 6. We took a couple of weekends in early February and March to sail up from there to Point Roberts, and while it was always cold and occasionally rainy, we never had anything but the best of times.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
We had a race scheduled a week ago Sat, but a bit foggy so canceled it. Folks usually sail year around depending upon how crazy they are. Today would be a nice day! Sunny, granted mid 30's, lighter wind 5-10 maybe when I was down at the marina a bit ago.....Knock out view of the Olympic mtns and I am sure Baker, rainer and the cascades would be looking mighty fine once you got off shore to the west a bit from the east shore of puget sound.

marty

1 - 20 of 28 Posts