SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This is my first post since purchasing my Hunter 290 (2000) this spring 2016, and welcome the wisdom of Sailnet members.

I have a Selden in-mast furling mainsail. This is the first year that the mast is being unstepped for winter storage.
I sail in freshwater at Toronto, Ontario, but have not sailed much this year. The mainsail is in good condition.

My question is whether I should leave the sail in the mast, stored horizontally on racks, or remove it for off-site storage.

My husband thinks that storing the sail in-mast would not be worse than storing it in a sailbag on the boat on the hard. I am concerned about lack of water drainage in the mast, possibly causing mould, and possible rodent damage from the outdoor storage.

I have tried google searches but nothing addresses my question.

Any answers will be appreciated.
Regards
Wendy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for your trouble fallard. We are taking the mast down this year so we can check the rigging and fix the wind vane. In any case, the boat will be on the hard on Toronto Island so no nearby residents except raccoons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.