SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about looking at or surveying boats in the winter. We want to look at a boat in frozen northern Ohio. One of my concerns about an older boat is the possibility of a wet core. Is it possible to spot a wet core in the winter? It seems like a frozen wet core would appear to be solid. So the question is can I make a fair assessment of a boat in the winter and if we like the boat, can a professional do a quality survey in the winter?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Moisture readings

The surveyor should still be able to take a moisture reading and would better advise you. Good luck

·
Registered
551 Posts
A moisture meter uses capacitance to detect water. A capacitor consists of a conductor and insulator layered to together. Water is a conductor if there are any minerals in the water at all. Fiberglass is an insulator; therefore, changes in capacitance as you move the meter across the hull indicates the presence of water when the capacitance goes up. Ice is not a conductor so you cannot detect ice with a moisture meter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you. Since I posted, I also spoke with my broker and he also confirmed that we would have to wait for a good weather window.

I would have never guessed that ice is not a conductor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts