SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the marina is offering a $500 labor credit for winter work projects. Seems, they are needed to fill up the shop under the auspicions of a "stimulus package" for their slipholders. Here's a copy of their quote. And, yes, they need to sharpen their pencils quite a bit. This is for a 34' J/Boat.

As I do the math, there is approx a 5X labor mulitplier to parts...a little rich. And, yes, I did the calcs on the inflated part prices. (An R&D coupler is $150 here in the sailnet store).

R&R Cutlass Bearing $318.75 4.25 hours @ $75
Parts: Cutlass Bearing 98.25
Miscellaneous material:* 14.75
Tax 6.78
Total $438.53

R&R Motor Mounts (Volvo 2003 28 hp) $960.00 12 hours @ $80
Parts:* 4 Volvo mounts @ $128.87, fasteners 515.48
Tax 32.13
Total $1,507.61

Install R&D Flex Coupling $1,600.00 20 hours @ $80
Unfasten shaft and engine coupling
Pull rudder
Pull shaft and coupling
Cut down shaft
Install flex coupling
Install shaft and motor coupling
Install rudder
Parts:* Flex coupling, fasteners 344.00
Tax 23.34
Total $1,967.34

Tune Rig $300.00 4 hours @ $75
Materials:* cotter pins, etc. 17.50
Tax 16.05
Total $333.55

Align Engine / Trans / Shaft $400.00 5 hours @ $80

Sub-total $4,647.03
Labor Credit ($500.00)
Grand Total $4,147.03

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why isn't the alignment included in the motor mount numbers??
What's up with that???

·
Registered
928 Posts
just have them r+r the cutlass brg. and tell them you want $60 back.

$500 for nuts and bolts seems a little high for engine mounts.

You might wanna get the guy for only $75 per hour and maybe not.

I see a lot of overlaping work here.

Tell them you want to inspect each and every job done seperately before they go on to the next job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, you all could get together and do this work for this guy, everyone here seems to be such an expert, should not be an issue for you folks to get this done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No surprise here. Does your Marina allow other mechanics to come on site and do work? Get another quote. Or do most of the work yourself. Of find another marina.

As others have said, ask them why there is duplicate work. At the end of the day - having someone else do works cost money and has to be in your budget...

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of Marinas think that boat owners have more money then brains and will try to take advantage of them at every turn. The best defense is research and knowledge.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why pick on pcyc? He's only speaking the truth. There's markups on all the parts plus flat rates on the labour. Not every sailor works on Wall St. It's no wonder DYI is the only way some guys can stay in the game.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jason - you need to be VERY careful here. Something just does not smell right.

Will you be comfortable having repairs done when it would appear that they are being dishonest with the quote?

I can justify a different labour charge for rigging adjustments (paying a rigger as opposed to a mechanic) but why would the mechanical rate be different for the cutlass bearing versus the engine mount work?

Assuming that they do "sharpen" their pencil, are they going to guarantee that your final bill will not exceed the quote for any reason what so ever, including "unforeseen" surprises ?

It is possible that a newbie processed the quote and doesn't understand about overlapping times.
It is also possible that they will be happy to charge you whatever you authorize.

Sorry if I sound a little (lot?) pessimistic, but I spent 23 years in the auto service industry and have witnessed an awful lot of questionable tactics and procedures.

What I see here would be enough to make ME run away. At the very least you should be soliciting other quotes for comparison.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jason - you need to be VERY careful here. Something just does not smell right.

Will you be comfortable having repairs done when it would appear that they are being dishonest with the quote?

I can justify a different labour charge for rigging adjustments (paying a rigger as opposed to a mechanic) but why would the mechanical rate be different for the cutlass bearing versus the engine mount work?

Assuming that they do "sharpen" their pencil, are they going to guarantee that your final bill will not exceed the quote for any reason what so ever, including "unforeseen" surprises ?

It is possible that a newbie processed the quote and doesn't understand about overlapping times.
It is also possible that they will be happy to charge you whatever you authorize.

Sorry if I sound a little (lot?) pessimistic, but I spent 23 years in the auto service industry and have witnessed an awful lot of questionable tactics and procedures.

What I see here would be enough to make ME run away. At the very least you should be soliciting other quotes for comparison.
Just tell them you never have any work done with less then 3 quotes for the work needed and see what happens. Sometimes you just have to let them know your not stupid or a pushover to get honest quotes and good work!! If they get pissy, definately get the work done by someone or somewhere else.
Where I'm at ,the Yard guys know I can do it myself, but I 'm lazy and if they don't charge me to much I'll let them do it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey, you all could get together and do this work for this guy, everyone here seems to be such an expert, should not be an issue for you folks to get this done.
Well bless your soul for that ! :) It's always nice to receive a compliment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the responses. I figured this would peak some interest out there among the masses. I will say that we think very highly of our yard and marina, both the general staff and the yard staff. I've responded to some of your comments below.

why the need to R & R 2003 motor mounts???????
This is a volvo model 2003 3 cyl, not 5 years old (more like 22)

why 12 hours to R and R motor mounts? i can see that kind of time figure in a repower where new mounts and bedding is needed, but not a straightforward R and R.
FWIW, I agree. Who has recently had their mounts R&R? How much? All 4 mounts are fairly accessible and I think it is a straightforward job. Figure 2 guys X 6 hours....still pretty high IMHO.

There's markups on all the parts plus flat rates on the labour. Not every sailor works on Wall St. It's no wonder DYI is the only way some guys can stay in the game.
Agreed, and we're actually pretty much DIY for most things, as we definately are not checkbook owners. Unless a job requires specific experience or training to do properly the first time, we'll at least consider attempting.

We've been at this marina several years and their work is reputable. I am comfortable with them doing repairs, just not willing to be put over a barrel to give them the priviledge.

One positive, is that we've never been billed in excess of the quote. I do not think there is any dishonesty at play, just a really expensive quote. Sometimes, when this yard doesn't really 'want' a particular job, they will overbid it...this may be the case here, but not 100% sure.

The quote was prepared by the yard foreman and reviewed, I believe...no noobie at work here.

Where I'm at ,the Yard guys know I can do it myself, but I 'm lazy and if they don't charge me to much I'll let them do it.
We are in the same boat....much prefer to spend time on the water than in a cockpit locker. If the yard quote is reasonable, then they ususally get the work. But, they are not being reasonable this time...lol.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The job seems to split into smaller jobs BUT is really one BIG job

One of the problems with all boats is the amount of time these things take without doing dammage to the boat as it is allways like doing motor work in your living room

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
This post should be considered a service to all (male) boat owners. I plan to take the estimate, show it to the Admiral, and say "See how much we save by doing the work ourselves?" If I spend a few hundred $$ on parts, you KNOW that I'm saving thousands on labor. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!

A lot of Marinas think that boat owners have more money then brains and will try to take advantage of them at every turn. The best defense is research and knowledge.
My Brother-in-Law is a case in point. The yard sees him coming and they give him a technical load of BS and a dollar value. He's so intimidated that he thinks it's all rocket science and pays the bill. The irony is that I worked with the guys that do his work when I was far younger and worked in the same yards with them. Small but incestuous world....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Jason

Saw the post this am. The quote may be fair given the circumstances....you won't know until you:

-read your storage contract and determine your options. Some places require you to use their services. Some insist that all outside contractors are hired through the marina and upcharge. Some allow you to bring in outside contractors after reporting that to the yard. Some allow the owner to perform some maintenance work. Some allow the owner to perform all maintenance work. We generally like the last category and bring in our own outside help when needed. There may be other scenarios out there as well so step 1 determine your options.

-depending on answer #1, contact at least two other contractors that can do the work and get estimates.

-depending on answer #2, sit down with yard manager and say something like, "I love you guys, I trust you and your work, but your quote is way out of line....here are two others at much lower prices. I want to give you the work and will do so if you can adjust your quote between these two".....I'm betting they take your offer. If not, in this economy, someone else will. Remember, they wouldn't be advertising the promotion if they had all the work they needed.

Good luck,

121Guy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts