SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I prefer blown out lines, to those with antifreeze. I've read that -100 antifreeze is also a bacteria-cide (but can't confirm). If true, I'd prefer that in the water lines, if they can't be blown out (which take much more effort than it sounds). Hot water tanks usually have a drain, which gets that job done quickly. I always prefer -100 in the engine and generator, as it will inevitably mix with some water and become less effective. Winters are bit more harsh up here, though. But it only takes a few rough days to do damage.

I've never known a marina that will allow a portable heater of any kind to be left plugged in. More often, they ban them entirely, even with you aboard. The latter rule frequently broken. Understand, if you warm the air, it can hold more moisture. When that moist air comes in contact with the cold hull, it can condensate out. Best ideas are to run dehumidifiers, rather than heaters, and/or ventilated with dry winter cold air.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
bought a bubbler and hung it off my transom so it was pointing at the rudder and prop area.
Assuming these are a foot, maybe more, below the waterline, I'm not sure they are the risk. It's squeezing or carving into the hull or expanding inside waterline thru-hulls that don't have anti-freeze past the closed ball, if any.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Wasn’t Shackleton‘s boat crushed by ice?

I think it’s well established that this isn’t a risk at thin ice marinas, but I don‘t think it’s physically impossible no matter what. Moving ice is a bigger risk of damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts