SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this post could go to either engines or plumbing.

Going to overwinter in the water this year in Deale, I know I have to winterize. boat will be plugged into shore power

Thinking that I could put a small oil filled radiator set the thermostat to low and also leave a small fan on a timer. gets cold. heater kicks on separate fan circulates air. boat stays warm.

I was thinking that I'll empty my water tanks, open all the taps and then use a pancake compressor and blow air through the lines to make them dry or go with the pink stuff... if I let it dry out, will this be a problem with a hot water heater?

Genset close seacock and fill the raw water strainer with pink a/f and run until its full or blow the lines out with same compressor?

Engine this is a dilemma as I'm thinking that i might use it from time to time up until January... figure jan and feb are likley two months it wont see much use. so blow, it out fill with pink a/f or leave the engine room open so it get the warm air from the oil filled radiator space heater. that way there not any added maintenance/work to do if I get the one nice day and go out.

heads. turn off sea cock for intake, pump water in to bowl to drain the fill pipe. fill head with pink a/f and pump out then drain the holding tanks.

hvac use compressor and blow out the lines or fill with pink a/f.

top off batteries with distilled water let automatic charger do its thing.

Ikown that on my raw water strainers I will need to get the water thats between the strainer and sea cock either out (vacuum/ turkey baster etc) or get some a/f into that line.

thoughts comments etc...

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all good points didn't think about the condensation.

i think my neighbor is gonna pull out this winter, and they have a bubbler. So I might be able get it on the cheap. the Ches is brackish, and not aware of any solid freezes in herring bay area.

But from one year to the next ya never know..

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all. boat was on the hard for in deal for 8 years or so before I bought it and all the pipes were blown out and left dry. so that why i was thinking about blowing or sucking all the water out of the lines.

no screens on the portlights, and hatches have velcro screens. I guess I could make up some plastic to cover the inside of the hatches and velcro to the inside of the cabin.

nice idea on the incandescent bulb..

I'm sure I'll spend a night or two as projects dictate...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts