SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got galvanized rigging. My maintenance log makes reference to an Interlux product for coating the rope it calls Interlux wire rope and chain conditioner. However, I'm not having much luck finding the actual product. Does anyone know where I can find it?

(Feel free to omit comments suggesting I switch to stainless, thanks)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Did you check the Interlux site to see if the product is still being made. IF it is, then you might want to call Interlux and ask them who distributes it... then call the distributor and find out who sells it locally or on the internet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just bought all new GALVANIZED rigging to replace my old STAINLESS... so more power to you on that one. I went to an industrial supply house and bought a can of cold galvanize compound, it is one part epoxy paint that is 97% zinc. I am planning on using that when it comes time to fight rust!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i wonder how much of the conditioner is just an oil.

i know the failure of guy wires on radio towers is internal friction wearing the cables away caused by stretching in the wind

·
Registered
846 Posts
Linseed oil was used to protect the boats from the enviroment. This included the rigging as well. If you cannot find a good product, you can protect them, as done in the ancient times, use linseed oil.

·
Registered
156 Posts
cable conditioning

Granted the use is different (4x4winch cable) but the solution may be similer. When we use cable on a winch...Before it goes on the drum it needs to be "conditioned" for use. The plan is to soak the cable in Diesel fuel for 48 hours, and then let it drain for the same amount of time. after the cable is installed it is stretched and allowed to stay in a loaded state of 48/72 hours with re-tensioning as needed. Yearly maintinence is to remove the cable and soak it again in diesel fuel to lubricate it again. Thank god we are all using amsteel blue or other ropes like that on our winches now.
Kary

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After digging around I finally found out that it is (because I found a jug of it on the boat, hah! After 3 years I'm still finding new stuff stashed away I had no idea came with the boat). It's a product made by "interlube", not interlux as the maintenance log mistakenly referred to. I wasn't able to find it in any online stores, but it is here: Interlube Corporation.

It works quite well and seems to hold up for several years once you put it on. It's nasty as all hell though, perfect for staining clothes black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts