SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a cal 29 - halyards are external however the VHF cable and the wiring for the masthead light and steaming light run up inside the mast ( deck stepped) - the slapping can be noisy when rolling at anchor or dock - any easy fixes or way to reduce noise ?- my fix so far - ear plugs at night if it gets bothersome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I once tried using a series of three zip ties around the wire, positioned every few feet so that the tails would stick out like ribs on an umbrella. Didn't work :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Hmm. I'm just about to run wires up my mast for a Anchor light and a Windex light. Currently I only have four halyards inside the mast. I've been a little worried about the noise.

Now I'm more worried.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Zip ties didn't work for me, too easy for them to get rotated when pulling the cable. I used small 1 inch by 1 inch foam strips zip tied to the wires every 2-3 feet, has worked well for me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, you 100% need to drop the mast.

Unless you want to climb the mast and try drilling a bunch of holes in the mast every few feet and stuffing foam or perhaps spraying foam (not likely to work). Might get away with one every 6-8 feet but it's still a really dumb idea.

·
12,273 Posts
Yes, you 100% need to drop the mast.

Unless you want to climb the mast and try drilling a bunch of holes in the mast every few feet and stuffing foam or perhaps spraying foam (not likely to work). Might get away with one every 6-8 feet but it's still a really dumb idea.
Wires/ halyards in a conduit work

Foam noodles or foam deteriorate over time and create a fine particle mess

·
Registered
375 Posts
No. No.. NO! don't spray foam in the mast. Some PO of my last boat did and it took me several days in the boatyard to chip it out (BBQ fork on the end of 20' of PVC pipe).

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you have an access panel at the bottom of the mast you could try to feed pipe insulation (rubber armaflex) over the wires & up the mast. Mice ended up in my mast & the insulation over the wiring got trashed. I could only feed it about 4' up due to a wiring splice for the steaming light. I ended up stuffing the tube with as much foam insulation that I could push up. I also put a wire tie around the wiring bundle, put tension on it & screwed the tag end to one of the screws for the access panel.
Quieted down the slapping but it's still annoying. Needless to say my sticks coming down in the spring.

Try to identify where the slapping actually is. If it's at the bottom of the stick you may be able to remedy the problem fairly easy.

·
12,273 Posts
Then you have to affix the conduit to the inside of the mast, no? That seems challenging as well.
Not that difficult with the mast down

·
Senior Citizen
434 Posts
I used four sections of foam pipe insulation tied together about two feet apart. The assembly hangs from the top of the mast. Problem solved. I also leave a messenger line in the mast. Have not heard slap for four years. If noise becomes a problem I'll pull the mast and replace the foam as well as inspect and service the masthead.
-CH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts