SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys;

Do any of you have any experience with using wireless wind instruments? My old Datamarine is having some serious emotional issues these days, and I fear I may have to replace it soon. But I'm a bit nervous about having an instrument without a hard wire.

Can you kindly enlighten me as to pro and cons and any personal experience you have? I am mainly day sailing these days as I was stupid enough a few years ago to go back to work. But I hope to solve that problem in a couple of years and then will be Caribbean bound. So the new installed unit will need to be offshore capable and reliable.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,
Captain Ron (Arrh Matey)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
No actual experience. I looked into TackTick once, but the price was outrageous for my relatively modest boat/budget/needs.

I've been waiting for this new wireless wind transducer to come out. They just started taking pre-orders a few days ago. It looks very promising, and less expensive than others. But it does not come with a display or control panel. That works fine for me, because I use a Win8 tablet-based chartplotter that will display the wind data onscreen. The company also sells iPad software that will display the results and automatically optimize tacking strategy. (I'm not planning to get that software.)

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
I had a Nexus wireless wind transducer in our last boat and it worked great from the connectivity POV, more so considering that I still haven't mounted the new wired wind instrument to our current boat over the last 12 months primarily because the mast needs to be pulled to run the new wiring. Even though I never experienced any trouble with the wireless link, the general caution with wireless is to test the location of the receiver before permanently mounting to ensure it is receiving a clear signal from the transducer. Another thing is the transducer, although solar powered, has a rechargeable battery that requires changing every three years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.