SailNet Community banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
13,619 Posts
Reaction score
je, you never know. That pump could have been installed "wrong" because it was the only way that it fit. Or, the PO might have had a bum left arm and used his leg, or a crew kneeling and facing aft. You just never know what's "wrong" until you've tried to install it on the exact same boat, and a simple project turned into the usual three day long boat job.

As the joke goes: "And the madam said, ain't no way that's going in there."

Of course I also knew a top-name custom boatyard that managed to install two of the primary winches backwards, on a brand new yacht. Sometimes, it is plain wrong.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
Reaction score
When I was sailing my 22'er I had a pretty big bilge pump mounted on a board with hoses pre sized and attached. When I needed to pump the bilge mechanically in earnest, (only one time) I put the pump onto the floor of the cockpit and could sit and pump taking turns left hand-right hand. Really helps on the fatigue factor. I could also turn it around and pump inside the cabin and discharge overboard. I'm thinking that I need to replace my old bulkhead mounted manual pump and will probably go that route again. That way I won't compromise the electric pumps plumbing. I could also use it for deck discharge of the holding tank. Much more flexible that a fixed mounting.
John

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
......could not find these. I believe the wires are greatly different in size. Do i triple over the exposed wire portion of it before inserting to be crimped?
The wires should no be that different in size. Wire to bilge should not be larger than 10 gauge. Bilge pump and float switch leads are either 14 or 16 gauge.

I sell step down butt connectors as large as 8 to 10/12 gauge. They all have heat shrink and are from Vertex.

· Mermaid Hunter
5,666 Posts
Reaction score

· Registered
7,866 Posts
Reaction score
Adhesive.
All heat shrink on a boat should be adhesive lined and that is all we sell. We also carry their boat cable and lugs for large cable as well as all their connectors - both with and without heat shrink.

Heat shrink without adhesive does not keep moisture out. I installed an ACR on
one boat and after I finished I checked the other cables. One main battery cable that looked perfect fell apart in my hands. The non-adhesive heat shrink let moisture in and concealed the corrosion.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.